brisket question about cutting and storage

Cesar

TVWBB Fan
I'm going on a fishing trip with 2 friends later today and would like to make a high heat brisket to take and eat at the lake. But I do not want to take the entire brisket. So I was wondering if I would be able to cut a big enough chunk for 3 right after its done and hold for the two hour drive. What Im wondering is if I cut a chunk off will it lose a lot of heat and get to 140 a lot quicker?

Should I cut the piece off while still in the smoker... say before I wrap in foil but foil with the rest of the brisket and leave till tender. That way when I take off the smoker I can wrap it by itself and not have to cut anymore.

I'd cook it whole then cut off however much you need, then wrap that piece in film and foil, or just foil (it wouldn't hurt to wrap it in a towel too) and put it in a small, good sealing cooler. It'll be fine for up to 4 hrs.

That's just my opinion ... for what it's worth!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Rick

I agree with Rick. Cook the brisket whole then allow it to rest--whole--at least 20 min. Be ready to head out the door then cut off the chunk you want, wrap well, and stick it in a small cooler with a towel, just as Rick suggests.

If no one will be home after you leave, remember to stick the piece you're leaving in the fridge, loosely covered with plastic, preferably on a rack for good circulation, to finish cooling.

Back