Brisket prices

Been reading these forums for over a year now but this is my first post. Is it possible to get a packer in NJ withour ordering a case?

Originally posted by Armando:
Been reading these forums for over a year now but this is my first post. Is it possible to get a packer in NJ withour ordering a case?

First off, Welcome Armando!
As to finding packers in NJ, I guess it depends on where you are. As I mentioned up-thread, I'm in North Jersey and none of the local butcher shops carry packers. When you ask for brisket, they sell you a flat. The big one in my town only stocks meats that are popular cuts; anything out-of-the-ordinary has to be special ordered as a one-off. so I wouldn't have a chance to make a selection, and again, it would probably only be a flat anyways since that's all the local processors seem to put out. They don't know what a "packer" is. At least the two near me don't.

In my neighbourhood supermarkets' meat counters have heavily-trimmed "briskets" (i.e. flats with ALL the fat cap removed) and the butcher MAY have a cryo-packed flat with all the fat still attached.

My local guy looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my nose when I told him I wanted a brisket with both a flat and point. He just pointed to the pointy-end of the flat and said in broken English "Thatsa-you-point."

Costco and BJs, again, only sell flats near me and are in the $4.50/lb range. They're all heavily-trimmed as well, not in cryo.

This is a flat that I picked up from a Chicago-area Sam's Club back in February and froze until June when we used it for Korean BBQ...

0_0_26355770d7b3880fb4e92d1269b753b3_1

0_0_5a91aacd833749d68595e86544e746ec_1

0_0_302a67f2febad198f72dd0fbf0de6ed0_1

0_0_1d6b63a52e017306d901defe30a2f001_1

The 2 I bought for this weekends cook were 2.99/lbs, they are usually 3.99 but my butcher gave me a deal on my order as it was rather large this time.

Peter,

Any chance you can get a membership at Restaurant Depot, or hook up with someone that has one? They usually have choice packers both by the case and loose at reasonable prices. Getting a membership can be tricky, but if you can get one (or have a friend with a restaurant that will let you use his), it's great to have.

Erik

Like most things in life it pays to shop around. Up in this part of Canada we are lucky to find packer briskets PERIOD and when you do you should just quickly call 911 since someone's about to get sexually assaulted!! haha
That said, asking around and finding meat packers can save you a bundle. I love my local butcher but these things are special order items to them. I just can't bring myself to pay the near $7/lb for brisket. At that price I'll just buy steaks. What kills me is I drive by a Waygu cattle farm every week... wonder if they'd notice one missing.

Back