Brisket prices

PeterD

TVWBB Super Fan
Did I just get robbed blind by my butcher? I just got a USDA Choice-grade 5.39# flat (no packers to be had for love or money up here, it would seem) for $5.49/lb. Costco was out and BJs is hit-or-miss in stocking them. Is that a fair price for August 2010 or did I just get jacked?

What I did appreciate is that he trimmed it down to about 1/4" or less of fat, so prep time will be a bit less. He may have been a a little over-agressive in trimming, but I don't expect it should matter all that much.

$5.49/lb.
Dang Peter,
Did you Squeal? Ouch
icon_eek.gif

$5.49/lb seems high even for well-trimmed brisket.

If it were USDA Prime, I might not feel so jacked.

Thanks for the comparison. We've only got a couple of supermarkets that even carry flats near us. One was a bit cheaper and the other was $5.99/lb. Gawd, I despise New Jersey some (most) days.

If your butcher sources his beef from smaller local ranches that use all natural methods of raising their cattle then I would say not so bad.
If the cryo bag your brisket came in said ibp or EXCEL then you got overcharged, IMO

HEB 1.58lb for a full packer, when on sale it ranges from .99-1.29lb hard to beat those prices, but Texas knows how to price brisket

For those of you that shop at Walmart (I don't), many often have packers in the back according to many members here, in various parts of the country, but you have to ask for them - they are not put in the retail case, usually.

I have a butcher/meat market/little store that's on the way to town from the ranch (in Florida). Packers run $3.49. He does not sell flats nor do I ever buy flats. In town, only over-trimmed flats are available. In Oklahoma I can get packers cheaper - but try finding decent pork. Uh-uh.

Around here packers and butts have both jumped up in price the last couple of months. Packers at Walmart went from $1.68 to $1.98 (butts from $1.39 to $1.98). The packers are in the retail case here.

I sure do envy y'all who can get packers at retail and at decent prices! Ain't no way, no how I'm paying $5.49 a pound again. Around this part of the state, if it's Italian it's available everywhere and dirt-cheap. Anything else? Fehgeddaboudit! Up here, remember, barbecue is either a verb or a synonym for a propane grill.

My local Super Target will have full packer briskets for 99 cents a pound about once a month for Excel Choice. I pick up one every time I see it at that price.

WalMart and Sam's only carries select briskets where I live and are always over $2 a pound.

I bought a packer last week its in the freezer now so I looked to be sure ! It was a $1.89 lb from Wallyworld Iam just south of Detroit . It came from the Taylor Michigan Wallyworld . so ya compared to here you got wacked
icon_eek.gif
Odd but Sams Club here never has packers but Wallyworld always does .Flats I belive were the same price per lb but I will look to be sure next time I go .

Been paying about $5.00 /lb at Giant Eagle here. Cannot find it any cheaper, and I have a hard time trying to find anything bigger than 6 lbs in the city, most places are already trimmed too.

I can find Select packers in the $1.90s at Wallyworlds and Sams, but my local meat market carries Choice Certified Angus in the $2.30s and I'm fine with paying the difference. Now, if the cuts at the Wallys or Sams looked anywhere near as good, I would jump on 'em, but the difference is obvious.

I pay $4.59 for CAB flats, trimmed. But I ask for a fresh one still in the cryo and have them trim it to a 1/4" cap. Or sometimes I take it as is in the sealed cyro, if it doesn't look or feel overly fatty. Sometimes they give me a discount, sometimes they don't. Depends who is behind the counter when I get it. The ones already in the display case are way over trimmed for smoking.

Back