Brisket Practice

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I felt like practicing a brisket on monday so we invited over some friends and family. I would have posted this sooner, but I've been working off the hangover for a couple of days now
icon_frown.gif

I scored a nice 12 lb choice packer at RD. The size and shape appealed to me, as it was just long enough to fit between the handles and the flat was a decent thickness. From now on, I'm going to look for similar ones and hopefully it will help me with my consistency. That's what's great about RD, they had out about 20 for me to go through and they never have a problem opening a case up if I don't see any I like.

We had some success at our last comp using an off the shelf inject/rub kit, and I want to save the rest for our up coming comp, so I decided to see if I could come up with something simple along the same lines. The inject went in about an hour before cooking and it was a solution of water (12% salt, 12% brown sugar and some flavor enhancers). Right before cooking, I toweled off some of the liquid and hit it with the rub:

1 T ground blk pepper
1 T salt
2 T brown sugar
3.5 T ancho
0.5 T onion

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5118.JPG

I had a minion going with oak and apple pieces mixed and a clay pot in the pan. It was pretty hot and sunny, so it ran around 275* with all the vents closed, which was good enough for me since I didn't have to adjust a thing for the 8 hrs of the cook.

It stalled for a good hour at 157*. I was looking for a tight bark, but the rub was still kind of wet in places. At one point I mopped up a puddle of inject that had pooled on the top of the flat. Despite the lack of complete bark, I foiled to ensure I'd be done in time for dinner. Next time, I may try flipping it to get both sides dryer.

you can see a little crater in the middle of the flat where I mopped up the inject:
IMG_5120.JPG

The brisket cooked right up until service which was pretty interesting because it was seriously hot when I sliced it. I was really happy with the taste and texture as it was probably my best brisket to date. Since I didn't have to worry about it overcooking during the rest, I took it further into tender than I ever have before. I also felt I made nice work of the point. I had trimmed all the fat off of it prior to cooking and made note of the grain direction. I managed to slice it across the grain and got slices similar to the flat. All in all, I'd call it a pretty professional job:
IMG_5121.JPG

IMG_5122.JPG

The brisket, along with Mike Mill's bbq salad, corn, sweet fries, and texas toast made for a great meal.

about the hangover, one of my teammates decided it was a good idea to bring a growler of this, another one of this, oh and a bottle of this
icon_eek.gif

Looks really, really great, Jeff!! I've only done a few briskets and haven't had much success...after the move I'll dive back into perfecting them. Good luck in the upcoming comp!!

You got a hangover from 3 beers?
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Looks good Jeff. Nice work - I've got to try a full packer soon.

Those are some pretty solid AVB's you were looking at - no wonder the hangover. I don't think I've had anything from Lagunitas that I haven't liked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Those are some pretty solid AVB's you were looking at - no wonder the hangover. I don't think I've had anything from Lagunitas that I haven't liked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we weren't just looking at them
icon_biggrin.gif
and the three easily averaged over 10% ABV.

The Hairy Eyeball was excellent as was the Night Stalker. Neither should have been drunk in any quantity, but there weren't too many of us going hard on a monday, and by the time the Night Stalker was open, there were just two of us left.

I just reheated the brisket for lunch and man, its still soo good. The flavors are pretty subtle but there. I'm going to have a tough decision on whether to go back to the premade stuff or try amping up this recipe for the comp. what to do?

I have a similar dilemma with our ribs. We got a few top 10's with different variations on the current recipe but have yet to take home first. I totally redid the flavor profile and I can't decide if I should try it out or not. I may chicken out and try out the recipe with our pork, which perpetually tanks, to see if it gives us a bump.

ah, the consequences of only competing 2-3 times a year. Plenty of trials, but no scores to verify the results against.

Looks great J.

Looks tender and all but was it on the dry side?
havent cooked or even bought a prober brisket yet but it looks abit dry? or maby just the photos? or maby its me just never seen a good brisket?

But i love your threads always plenty of info and good pics.

and if i could do brisket or chicken like you i would be proud.

Keep it up Jeff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Looks tender and all but was it on the dry side?
havent cooked or even bought a prober brisket yet but it looks abit dry? or maby just the photos? or maby its me just never seen a good brisket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure how moist a brisket can be. I've had lots of decent brisket out, and none were more moist than this. It was in no ways dry, but it wasn't dripping either. Some of the top pieces in the pic seemed like they dried some, but look at the point slices and the stuff underneath and there's a bit of a sheen.

The point sections were far moister, but they start out pretty marbled. The flat on a choice packer has very little visible marbling to start.

I have received some solid advice from someone that said injecting with stuff like FAB is mandatory for getting moist brisket. However, I have not found much magic using similar products. I'm in pursuit of a nicely marbled piece of meat, to see how good brisket can be.

looks purty darn good. hard to tell by pics but it does look a bit overcooked. the meat should not pull apart like that. not sure if that was a tip part or not. they will not cook perfectly as the meat thickness does vary so it is crap shoot at times.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The brisket, along with Mike Mill's bbq salad, corn, sweet fries, and texas toast made for a great meal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll say. Amazing and delicious, Jeff. Tomorrow AM I pick up two Angus briskets (one for me, one for a buddy)at RD. Dueling CABs! We'll compare notes on Tuesday.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have received some solid advice from someone that said injecting with stuff like FAB is mandatory for getting moist brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Solid advice? Mandatory? Nonsense. Moisture is about cooking to the right point, as you know, then maintaining it. The maintenance is the tricky part with brisket (and many chuck cuts, as they are similarly unendowed with a plenitude of internal soft fat deposits, unlike brisket point or butt). If you can stand the finish, phosphates can help. Other than that inclusion, injections offer little despite being touted as the be-all end-all to brisket results. Though there is an increase in weight from the injection pre-cook, and possibly post-cook (not a thing I've tested), one still is fighting the looser structure of brisket in the first place. That alone is why I use paints at the slicing point, not injections pre-cook. (And it gives the added bonus of lasting shine.)

Wow that looks amazing!

Nice beer selection too! Ever have Joe Mama's Milk? Dark and reminds me of espresso but it's beer! Really strong too!

Brisket will start to LOOK like it is drying out within a minute or two of being sliced, even thought it really isn't "dry." I like to keep some of the liquid from the foil and dip the slices back into that just before serving.

George, I think the slices you are noting are pulling apart really are the slices from the point. The slices from the flat look really good.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Brisket will start to LOOK like it is drying out within a minute or two of being sliced, even thought it really isn't "dry." I like to keep some of the liquid from the foil and dip the slices back into that just before serving.

George, I think the slices you are noting are pulling apart really are the slices from the point. The slices from the flat look really good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks, couldn't have said it better myself. And yes, that's a point slice that's so loose.

tough crowd around here
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Solid advice? Mandatory? Nonsense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, I hope the first sentence didn't blind you to my next one:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> However, I have not found much magic using similar products. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm 100% with you. If you don't have wagyu or some other reasonably marbled piece of meat, you are essentially cooking a tough pork loin.

About the magic part, I wasn't technically telling the truth though. Where I didn't see any magic to the inject helping with and average brisket, apparently the judges did. I thought the brisket I turned it was bad, but it got me a call out of 40 teams, I was floored.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'll say. Amazing and delicious, Jeff. Tomorrow AM I pick up two Angus briskets (one for me, one for a buddy)at RD. Dueling CABs! We'll compare notes on Tuesday. Wink

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you see any benefit to the CAB? I tried one and it seemed no better or worse that the choice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">tough crowd around here Wink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont get me wrong J i just say what i thought off the pics.

I bet i would have to train years before i could put out the quality bbq as you.

And who im i to say anything in the bbq part of this forum i never even tasted any good brisket.

Keep it upp Jeff!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dont get me wrong J i just say what i thought off the pics.

I bet i would have to train years before i could put out the quality bbq as you.

And who im i to say anything in the bbq part of this forum i never even tasted any good brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

relax, I thought the winking smiler would let you know that there was sarcasm intended.

I know you are actively pursuing brisket and aren't having much luck. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't cook much brisket if I didn't have too. Personally, I think the mystique of brisket is a bit overblown. The reason why its barbecued, is that it's relatively cheap, not that it has any special qualities. You picked up, right away, that it looked dry, and the truth is, the choice briskets I've cooked have not been exceptionally moist. Read about about how Pat and Kevin paint the slices, its the nature of the cut.

The problem for you, is that you are going through great expense to get a brisket, and I fear you may be a tad disappointed with the outcome. Lets hope not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have received some solid advice from someone that said injecting with stuff like FAB is mandatory for getting moist brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Solid advice? Mandatory? Nonsense. Moisture is about cooking to the right point, as you know, then maintaining it. The maintenance is the tricky part with brisket (and many chuck cuts, as they are similarly unendowed with a plenitude of internal soft fat deposits, unlike brisket point or butt). If you can stand the finish, phosphates can help. Other than that inclusion, injections offer little despite being touted as the be-all end-all to brisket results. Though there is an increase in weight from the injection pre-cook, and possibly post-cook (not a thing I've tested), one still is fighting the looser structure of brisket in the first place. That alone is why I use paints at the slicing point, not injections pre-cook. (And it gives the added bonus of lasting shine.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you use (if you don't mind sharing) to paint the slices?

j, that brisket looks really good! I do quite a few of them and I can say that no matter how moist the flat is when you slice it dries up very quick. After I plate it I brush the drippings on both sides as well.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back