brisket point in chili

Todd Randall

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

Quick question...do those of you who do this take and chop up the point real good so it's more consistent with ground beef?

Because, I got to tell ya, I made chili yesterday with some brisket point I had left over and I was not at all a fan of the stringy meat in the chili. Tasted great, texture was aweful.

Thanks,
Todd

I cut the point into chunks first, let it cook further in the chili, and then assess. If it's stringy I stick a handblender in the pot and pulse it several times till I hit the texture I want. You could certainly chop it first though.

So it sounds as if you guys are cooking brisket point purposely for chili sometimes then.

I was more in the....well, I have this brisket point left over from previously being pulled and vac sealed. I'll just toss it in the chili in place of the ground beef.

So it was already fully cooked to pullable and was pulled and eaten as pulled beef. These were the left overs.

Thanks,
Todd

I just cut it roughly 3/4 of an inch across the grain through the whole thing. Then I just try to crumble it into the chili. I like to cook and simmer a while and all that stirring seems to break it up. It usually doesn't have many chunks in it when eating.

I love to use leftover brisket in my chili. I haven't made chili with ground beef since I bought my wsm. I pulled about a 1/3 of a brisket out of the freezer a couple of weeks ago and made chili. It was awesome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So it sounds as if you guys are cooking brisket point purposely for chili sometimes then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I do. Probably 99 of 100 briskets I cook the point does not get removed from the flat and returned to the cooker. I let it cool and fridge or freeze; it's cooker further for or with whatever I'm doing with it: chili (quite often), enchiladas/taquitos, various sauces, sundry fillings, and so forth. I can cut to variously sized chunks for any of these, cook further, and deal with texture/size issues whenever I wish.

For leftover completely cooked brisket you're best cutting/chopping/mincing to size ahead of time in most cases.

Back