Brisket over Ribs or the other way around?

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Thinking of smoking both Ribs and Brisket together. I have two racks of spares that I would likely trip into St louis and Tips that should fit on one rack and also was thinking of smoking a Brisket at the same time.. The ribs I would do using Harry Soo's method at 275 and they only need to be in the smoker a couple of hours before I wrap them and finish in the oven.

My thought process was brisket on top to start the cook early in the day and then later in the day move it to the bottom to do the ribs ??

I'd be getting a packer from Costco but looking for one on the smaller side?

At what temp do you wrap you briskets? (I might move that to the oven when I do)

Butcher paper vs foil for the brisket, I will foil the ribs.

I'm sure this has been mentioned but searching it I was unable to find articles related to this (it may be a user error)

Mainly because I’m lazy, I’d do the brisket on bottom because you won’t have to mess with it while the ribs are cooking……if you start them at the same time.
If starting the brisket early, you might be able to wrap and put on bottom and start the ribs on top. That may give a few hours to take brisket off and rest while ribs finish.

I used to do what I called an "over & under" cook...... brisket under a pork butt (or two). My thought was that the fattier pork would marinade the brisket as the fat rendered out, and keep it moist. It always turned out well for me.

I would think the same applies with having ribs over the brisket.

Back