Brisket----NOT

Dale Groetsema

TVWBB Super Fan
A couple weeks ago, I did a catering job for some folks at work. For a flat fee, I promised one brisket and one butt, plus sauce.

The day before the event, I was running late, got home about 4pm, and rushed to get the WSM going and prep the meat. I cut open the Brisket package and decided there was not enought fat cap to trim anything, so I rubbed it, put it on the smoker, and planned on taking it off around 5am for a few minutes in foil in the oven at 5am (it was a 15 pounder).

Well, I got up at 5am, foiled it as planned, put it into a 300 degree oven at 5:30 and went back to bed for 90 minutes. That turned into 150 minutes as I overslept.

I pulled the brisket out, measured temp through the foil at 205+. OOPS! Let it rest for 60 minutes then unwrapped to slice it.

Started looking for the layer of fat between the point and flat--could not find it anywhere. Decided to cut it in half, figuring I would see it from the side. Nope--not there. Hmmm, could I have rendered out all the fat? Not likely.

Started slicing it thin--too dried out for that. Started slicing it thick, took a bite, yuck, 'bout choke you it was so dry. It was then that I figured out this was not a brisket but some kind of roast--a well overdone roast. Took out my meat cleaver, chopped that sucker up, mixed in some Blues Hog sauce, and served it to the group with the disclaimer that if they did not like the beef, I through in extra pork (I cooked two of them, one intended for holiday snacking).

Well, they loved the beef, thought it was the best ever, and so on. GO Figure???

You've got to love it when a 'loss' turns into a 'win'.
icon_wink.gif

Back