Brisket mop

Tom S.

TVWBB Fan
Looking for a basic mop to use on a 14lbs full packer?
Neighbors invited us over for Thanksgiving dinner, and they asked that I "smoke something". They will have a turkey breast so thought a brisket would be a nice change of pace.
Going to start it late Wednesday night on my 22", so won't start mopping until early Thursday morning.

I got this online at Amazing Ribs. I've not tried it but it sounds great. Meathead says, "Here's a very tasty formula inspired by the sauce at legendary Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que in Llano, TX":

1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons American chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon of butter *
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup Lone Star beer (or any other lager). Drink any that is left over.
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons steak sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Hot sauce to taste (start with 2 teaspoons of Tabasco sauce for mild heat)
2 cups beef, veal, or chicken stock

Note about the oil. Butter or margarine work fine, but to make it authentic, use rendered beef fat from the fatback of a brisket or use bacon fat.

1) Mix the paprika, black pepper, American chili powder, and cumin in a small bowl.
2) In a one quart saucepan, melt the butter or bacon fat and gently cook the onion over medium heat until translucent.
3) Add the garlic, bell pepper, and the spice mix you made in step (1). Stir, and cook for two minutes to extract the flavors.
4) Add the stock and the rest of the ingredients. Stir until well blended. Simmer on medium for 15 minutes. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for a month or so.

Why mop it? Just give it a good rub and smoke it. Remember everytime you open up the smoker to mop you are losing heat. Also if you do apply a mop be careful not to apply too heavily or you can lose part of your rub.

"If your looking, you ain't cooking"

Tom,

I like a mixture of BBQ suace and apple juice to mop my brisket. The last one I did I used about 2 parts of KCM to one part apple juice. I have also used Cranberry Juice for this with good results...

regards,

John

Back