Brisket Meat Grade

Kevin K.

TVWBB Member
I went by Walmart this afternoon to check out their brisket selection. They have whole briskets Cryovaced at $1.67/lb but I noticed the meat grade was not stated anywhere on the packaging. Should I assume that no grade means Select? How does Select compare to Choice when it comes to brisket and the final outcome?

I have found select, choice, and unmarked (no roll) briskets at Wal Mart.

I have found little or no difference between the different grades there. The select cuts are fine, but I would recommend cooking them with the high heat method.

I usually get packers from another source, but I wouldn't hesitate to get one at WM if I was in the mood.

If memory serves me correctly Chris did a CAB and Select on his Midnight Brisket cook and reported he could tell no difference.

Kevin, why assume and just ask the butcher or the meat clerk behind the counter. They better be able to help you with your question.

Erik

When I buy CAB from my butcher...which is what I always try to get now I notice a very big difference. I cook the brisket in an aluminum pan on a trivet. I have so much juice when its done its unreal. I dont mop or nothing, it is always a super moist piece of meat. I have bought SAMS briskets and they are good. But CABS are excellent. The first time I bought a CAB out of curiosity, thinking yeah right...Is this really gonna be worth the extra $ or just a bunch of hype. Its not hype, at least from my experience. I know teams that compete w/ CAB and 9 out of 10 they get better results. In my opinion....it makes a difference..at least when CAB is concerned.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If memory serves me correctly Chris did a CAB and Select on his Midnight Brisket cook and reported he could tell no difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I re-read Brisket - Midnight Cook and I was wrong; Chris did did one Choice CAB and one Choice. My error.

I have buying my briskets from wally world for years now. I haven't seen grade marking on one yet. I bought from butcher once. I paid about $15 more than I would have at wally world. I didn't ask the butcher what it was but I can tell you to me it wasn't worth the difference. Now if I was in a competition I would take every and any advantage I could. Buying CAB or Select whatever I would probobly do. But for me not worth the price.

The only thing wrong with walmarts brisket is I wish they would go back to summer '06 prices. I bought packers all summer long for $1.25 per #

Back