Brisket injection for moisture/flavor

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB All-Star
Do any of you guys n gals do this?
I’ve done this twice on brisket for moisture and have had very good results.

Prior to that I’ve tried injecting a pork shoulder a few times and wasn’t really impressed.
I’m thinking that the pork shoulder has enough moisture to not require any more.
I also prefer a simple rub on a pork shoulder and then adding what spicing I want after the cook so I can use the meat multiple ways.

With brisket I’ve chopped up the trimmed fat into small pieces and rendered it on the stove top with a bit of water to help accelerate the process.
I did this to mimic the guys that added tallow to their wrap but I had a bunch extra so I injected it prior to the cook and got a really nice jelly type brisket as the result.
I also rested the brisket on the small chunks of tallow fat during the wrap and I received a lot of compliments on the cooks.

Today I’m doing a brisket for a party tomorrow and I’m making the tallow different yet.
I’ve added aromatics like garlic, basil, sesame, rosemary and thyme to the rendering fat as an experiment.
I’m not sure how this will work out but the house smells really good anyways.
I don’t think this will hurt but I haven’t seen anyone else doing it like this.
I have however seen videos of people injecting their briskets and then pitch their $30 per jar of their magic injection juice.

Do any of you have any experience or recommendations with doing this?
Thoughts?
Thanks.
Andy.

If I cook a packer brisket I will chose the best marbled select I can find and inject it. I rub it with SPOG, then smoke, misting frequently with beef broth. Once at the stall, I wrap in pink butcher paper. I have to carefully monitor it to catch it at "probe tender". Often the lower fat marbling does not allow it to reach 200-205°F.

I've tried several homemade injections but have had the best results with a commercial injection.

Edit: sentence structure 🙄

Back