Brisket in Northern Virignia

Matthew Appler

TVWBB Super Fan
There was a topic in 2002 regarding where to find brisket in Northern Virginia. It seemed pretty spotty then. It continues to seem hard to find now. I was able to pick up four 4lb bisket flats from Costco today (on the smoker now) for $3.39lb (ouch). Anyone have a better source in NoVa?

Thanks,
-Matt

Super Wal Wart is about my only option here. Mine sells choice packers for $1.28 lb. Another one close to me sells nice choice flats for $2.56 lb. I have been buying mine there for 3+ years now and have been very happy with them. Wal Mart Meat

I'm in Annandale inside the Beltway. The BJs at Landmark (I395 and 236 a/k/a Little River Turnpike or Duke St) usually has 8 to 10 lb brisket flats. If you can conjure up the necessary qualifications (hint - do you belong to any non-profit group that might want to purchase something at wholesale once or twice a year) try Restaurant Depot on Eisenhower BLVD off I95/495 in Alexandria for nice packer cuts. Thay also have a wide Halal selection if you are in the mood for lamb or goat.

Clausen

SuperWalmart would be great. The closest one to here is in Charles Town, West Virginia, about 40 miles away. Anyone happen to know if this SuperWalmart has brisket?

If we make the trip, I'll let you know if it does!

-Matt

Matthew:

All of my packers have come from various Super WalMarts. Stock in a Super WalMart is a hit or miss thing. Translation: they have packers in stock almost as often as they do not. I would recommend that you call before you go. On the other hand, you probably will be talking with the janitor instead of someone who might REALLY know.

I've had pretty go luck with my local Safeway off West Ox Road in Fairfax. I still have one left in the freezer, I'll check the price/pound I paid. I bought a few when they went on sale.

Try here:Alexandria, VA
http://www.restaurantdepot.com/Misc/special.asp

Call first because they may need you to be "a business" but that is just a matter of getting a little paperwork done
icon_smile.gif
Trust me it will be an awesome resource for you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matthew Appler:
There was a topic in 2002 regarding where to find brisket in Northern Virginia. It seemed pretty spotty then. It continues to seem hard to find now. I was able to pick up four 4lb bisket flats from Costco today (on the smoker now) for $3.39lb (ouch). Anyone have a better source in NoVa?

Thanks,
-Matt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt,
Not sure where you are located, but there are Super Wally's in Fredericksburg, Culpeper and Manassas that sell whole briskets. They are not always "Choice" briskets, but I've recently tried their "Select" briskets @ $1.29lb and they were just as good if not better than the Choice (just my opinion) though. They also sell flats. There is also a butcher in Catlett called Wilson Farms Meat market, they always have choice packers and flats. The flats are $3.99lb and the packers are $2.69lb. Hope this helps.

Back