Brisket Help Please

george winters

TVWBB Member
I have approx. 5 1/2 pound brisket i got from butcher. Can someone please help with time to cook this on webber smokey moutain again? is it roughly 2 hrs / lb? so call it 10 hours?

and what should i aim for on internal temp so this is done perfect?

thanks so much

Although I am not an expert on brisket I would say your time will be close. Common methods call for foiling at 160 and cooking till 190. Make sure to test with a fork for doneness and cook for the finished product you want and not just time or temp. Be sure to let the brisket rest before slicing.

Mike

sounds like you have the flat only. 190 in the flat is the common temp, but if you put a toothpick in it and it goes in and out like butter pull her off and let her rest a bit before slicing. Go a little longer to over 200 to pull.

More help will be on the way........

For a flat like that, I'd cook until 160-170 internal, then foil until it's "probe tender" (temps likely 190+).

Depends on what temp you are smoking at....low and slow around 1.5-2 hours per pound is about right, but agree that probe tender is best method. Can you easily inset a fork and twist with little resistance? if so, you are ready to go.

Also, another method "high heat" roasts around 325-350 and should get you done in around 4 hours, but again probe for tenderness. There is great info on this site for low and slow under cooking topics and high heat under recipes in the forum. just search high heat if you cant find.

let us know how is goes!

Yes. That is normal.

I'm with Monty. With the flat you're cooking I'd foil at ~160 then cook till tender.

Even when I used to low/slow (haven't in ages) I never had a brisket go anywhere near 2 hours/lb. !.5 hours/lb was about the slowest, usually more like 1.25hours/lb.

Regardless, temp won't tell you when it is tender. But the meat will. It will feel that way when it is done.

Back