Brisket head to cut

DAManning

Why was my brisket so hard to cut? Took it off at 203, let rest in cooler for 2+ hours. It was nice and moist, but fat on top made it hard to slice with electric slicer. It point ended up with a texture like pulled pork. It was delicious and had nice bark, but I couldn't slice like on tv. I found the point to have a ton of fat on top, should I have trimmed more before smoking?

I always trim my briskets. There's a lot of fat and your going to just end up cutting it off at the table anyway. With it trimmed you'll find that the fat renders really well and I don't even cut it off at the table. I'll leave about 1/4-1/2" of fat on. The fat between the flat and point I'll cut a lot of that out cuz it's real hard and doesn't render well. I'll cook fat side down 225-250°. Hope this helps.

If you got a pulled pork like texture you may of been cutting with the grain instead of against the grain? The grain of the flat and point do not run in the same direction. That will give you the pulled pork like texture. I would think that with a good knife you should be able to cut through the cooked fat even if you didn't trim anything pre cook... I dont know if that helps but my two cents...

Back