brisket flats keep coming out dry

yeah, i guess i never temp my pork butts just thought brisket was less forgiving and needed more attention. I will still use the probe but not turn it on.

I saw on Aaron Franklin's YouTube series where he also does the same thing with butcher paper. Is this a better method than using aluminum foil? It seems to work well for him, but I wonder why many recommend this? The thing I can think of would be that it still protects it from heat and distributes it evenly while not allowing it to 'steam' and ruin the bark as much. Am I wrong about this?

A lot of people swear that 203 is the magic number...I have no idea.

Believe it, brutha ;)
Ya can't beat Texas brisket, and that's what's used in most of the great Texas meccas. I have a 36"x2000' roll, and use it instead of foil every time. I also wrap when the internal temp in the flat gets to 160-165. Then I flip it and cook it fat side up in the paper to an internal temp of 195 or so and then start feeling for the magic jiggle ;) I use this method in comps with great success as well...

For the original poster...there is nothing at all wrong with monitoring by temp, it just can't overrule best judgment and feel once you understand what to actually feel for. 195-205 or so it will be darn close. No need to sit jiggling it around for 12 hours...lol.

you guys have me wavering back and forth. When I probed the brisket before pulling i thought it needed more time, no more carry over cooking for me.
thanks for all the great input, keep it coming. I will post the next cook and let you know how it goes. I generally only use my therm for poultry so i;m leaning towards feel.

dave

Just to throw something else into the mix have you ever tried a high heat brisket? I'm doing one this weekend for my 28th wedding anniversary BBQ party. It's going on at 11am will be off between 3-4pm rested for 1-2 hours and devoured in about 30 seconds. You don't get a nice smokering but flavour and texture wise they come out great.

Back