Brisket Flat Strategy

PJ Polke

TVWBB Member
Looking to smoke a 5 lb. flat tomorrow - very little fat cap (maybe 1/8"). My plan was to smoke at 250* until thicker portion of the flat reaches 165*, foil until it reaches 190*, then straight into the cooler to rest. Ideally would like to slice this thin against the grain and have it all done in about 8-9 hours. Would like some bark, but I don't think I will get any this way. Am I on the right track?

I did my 1st high heat about 3 weeks ago or so, after years of low and slow, on a flat, and it came out awesome. I foiled I think about 160. But I put it in a tin pan, then foiled the top, and took it off not my temp, but by tenderness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PJ Polke:
Looking to smoke a 5 lb. flat tomorrow - very little fat cap (maybe 1/8"). My plan was to smoke at 250* until thicker portion of the flat reaches 165*, foil until it reaches 190*, then straight into the cooler to rest. Ideally would like to slice this thin against the grain and have it all done in about 8-9 hours. Would like some bark, but I don't think I will get any this way. Am I on the right track? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your strategy sounds good to me and yes you should get bark, I cook my briskets just as you stated and I get bark. Make sure when you pull it off at 190º that it's tender, don't just go by the 190º temp to determine 'done'. That's around when I begin to check my briskets for done......

Good luck and enjoy!

I second the high heat recommendation. Just did one yesterday and it was awesome. Crank the heat up to 300 or so and cook until the meat hits 165. Foil with some beef broth and cook until you can slide a temp probe in and out without resistance. No need to worry about ultimate meat temp. Add a little bit of the juice from the foil to your BBQ sauce and you should be set. This method works really well when cooking just the flat as it is much less likely to dry out.

Good Luck.

Bob

Back