Brisket Flat - Sanity check

Mike Rockwood

TVWBB Fan
For a high school graduation party, I'm smoking a couple of pork butts and a 6lb brisket flat.

I'm all set with an overnighter with butts, but I'm looking for some sage advice on the timing of the brisket flat.

The party is at 2pm Saturday. I'll get the butts on about 7pm, Friday night. I'll hold them in a cooler on Saturday, if done early.

Now, how long should the brisket take once it's in, under the butts?

Thanks!!

Mike--

Flats are hard to get a read on. At least yours is a 6-pounder. What size are the butts? I'm thinking the brisket should go on around 10.

Oh i love flats. Just picked up a nice 7.63 lb one. I do flats alot and they go quicker than a packer. Most of mine go for 1hr - 1 hr 15 min per lb. I did a 8 lb one last year that finished in 6.5 hrs. As kevin said they can be tough to figure time wise. If it's pretty thick figure longer if it's thin then it'll cook up pretty quick.

Thanks for the info on the full packer briskets, but I have only a flat.

The butts' are 2-8 pounders.

So, it sounds like anywhwere between 6 and 9 hours for the flat. That gets me in the ballpark. I'll just make sure it's done earlier, rather than later.

Thanks.

Thanks again!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That gets me in the ballpark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike--

That's why I suggested 10 to start. There have been BOB posts here recently indicating anywhere from 45 min to a 2hr/lb time on the flat so it can be frustrating to figure, but most seem to be in the 1.25-1.5 range. Cook temp, and thickness, as Bryan notes, are key variables. Since your temp will be a bit lower on the lower grate and if your flat has a decent thickness to it I think it unlikely that it'll be done in 6. If it's on the thin side start it later. If you have a probe with an alarm function so much the better. Get up early, regardless, to be sure.

Mike,

I did a similar cook not too long ago. My butts (14 lbs post trim) went in at 7:30 pm the night before and my 5.5 lb brisket flat went on at 1 am. Brisket was 189 degrees and came off at 10am and Butts came off at 10:30. All of the food got double foiled and put in a preheated cooler and packed with towels on all sides. Served at 2:30 pm. Pork got rave reviews and the drippings from the pork gave my brisket a nice added flavor. Very successful smoke.

FYI, I did sleep for a few hours and the smoker dropped from 230 down to 190 in the night. So if you stay on top of it your brisket might not take as long. Of course, depending on thickness and marbling it may take longer. If it's stubborn and it's getting close to serving time you could always foil it in the 160's and let it run to 190, then cooler it. Err on the side of caution. It will hold in a well prepared cooler for a good 4-6 hours.

Back