Brisket Flat Help Needed

Dan Krause

TVWBB Fan
I got a 7.5 pound brisket flat from my local Sam's Club. I want the brisket done by 6 pm. I am using a 22.5" WSM with a terra cotta pot in the water pan along with a DigiQ. I am not a huge fan of high temp cooks as I have yet to master keeping the WSM at a steady temp at that range. I am really good at keeping the WSM at 250 to 275. So what time should I put the brisket on? Foil or not to foil?

I shoot for 1.5 hours a pound at 250. I don't foil, and use water. Your looking at about 11 hours or so in the smoker.

The great thing about your set up is you'll get a good nite sleep.
If expecting to serve @ 6 pm you'll be pushing it or have to get up @ 5am. I'd start tonite.

I would go 5am. Plenty of time and enough time to rest before service. You can watch the sun come up.
Happy smokin'

I really want to serve the brisket as fresh as possible to my guests. Guess I am getting up early this morning. The good thing is that I can get all the prep done tonight an go right back to bed after I get the WSM up and running.

You could get some extra sleep if you foil and cut the cook time down to about an hour per pound. At least that's my experience. Smoke until it hits about 160-165, then foil and cook until it is probe tender. Allow half an hour to rest in the foil, then about 15 minutes unfoiled. Slice and eat. I find flats not foiled are dry

To foil or not to foil? This question leaves me very conflicted. I want a real nice bark and some good burnt ends, but I don't want dried out brisket either.

You said you were making a brisket flat. So just how are you making burnt ends? I always thought this was done from the point section of the brisket.

It is too early to be awake but I am up and the brisket is on.

BeefBrisket10-23-10_1.jpg

BeefBrisket10-23-10_4.jpg

@Vince Just proves why I need help with Brisket. I thought I would get burnt ends from the small end of the flat where it is more triangular shaped.

Got my first look at the brisket after 4 hours on the WSM.

BeefBrisket10-23-10_6.jpg

Gave it a spritz to keep things moist.

The WSM is holding rock steady at 275 on the DigiQ and right 250 at the lid. Meat internal temp is at 164 right now. I am not going to foil and just keep it going the way things are with an occasional spritzing.

Looking great so far!

I must say that picture of the coals burning, sure must have felt good! Hopefully made 5 am worth it, I know it would for me after a good night sleep!

I thought I would get burnt ends from the small end of the flat where it is more triangular shaped.
Burnt ends are neither, i.e., they are neither burnt nor ends. They are made from the point. After the brisket is cooked the point is separated off and cooked further. It is cut into small chunks, more fat is allowed to render, and the chunks are tossed in a little sauce which will caramelize and tighten.

Spritzing will not 'keep things moist'. Keeping things moist is directly related to not overcooking.

It does look good so far.

Brisket is done. Finished up early but that is ok, it will get wrapped foil and a towel and into a cooler for storage till dinner. I am going to serve it with a side of homemade Mac and Cheese. The nibbled corner is where my wife got to it.... it is amazing it survived at all.

BeefBrisket10-23-10_7.jpg

I was a little surprised that it finished so quickly. Went in at 5 am done at 12:30 pm. So about 7.5 hours or 1 hour per pound. Final pull temp was 202. Which was probably just a tad high. It came up a little faster than I expected at the end. It was probe tender. I am worried that it may be a little on the dry side. The small pieces I sampled were very tasty and moist. I used Armadillo Willy's rub recipe.

I am still getting used to idea that looks charred but taste absolutely amazing and has a wonderfully crisp out shell with a soft center.

Here is the final results:

BeefBrisket10-23-10_10.jpg

Homemade Mac and Cheese, homemade BBQ sauce, and peach cobbler for dessert.

BeefBrisket10-23-10_11.jpg

If I am being truly honest... it was very tasty but just a touch dry. I pulled the brisket at too high of a temp and it sat in the foil too long. I now know that 1 hour per pound at 275 is a better estimate than my initial guesstimate of 1.5 hours per pound.

Wonderful looking meal! Brisket is the bane of many a BBQ cook. You did a great job for your 1st. Time and temp are great guides but like all BBQ, "it's done when it's done"

Happy smokin'

Mark

Back