brisket fat cap?

Stan Wortly

Hello all,
We are doing a couple of 5 lb grass-fed briskets this weekend. I am able to pick the ones that I want right off of the carcass, and I am looking for tips on what to look for.

We have only done this a couple of times, and we were at the mercy of the grocery store for what we got. I am particularly interested in the amount of fat cap that I should get them to leave on. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks,
W

Moving from Beef Recipes forum to Barbecuing forum, as this thread does not begin with a recipe.

Regards,
Chris

I agree. 1/4inch is good. While your at it have them cut you the full brisket, not just the flat. You won't regret it.

I'm in the 1/8" fat cap camp. With that thickness it's just perfect for when the brisket's done. I've found that with a 1/4" cap it's a little too much fat for most peoples taste, and they just scrape it all off. I'm probably one of the few but I do not like the point meat, neither does anyone else in my family. I do buy packers most of the time and seperate the flat form the point before cooking.
icon_biggrin.gif

and don't throw away that fat you trim off. Render it down into some great tallow you can use for savory pastries (think, meat pies, etc.). Or for deep frying.

Or for making candles, if you are into that kind of stuff, I suppose.
icon_smile.gif
But I just stick to the food.

Thanks for the input folks. I do enjoy a fattier cut anyway, and I am thinking of slicing the flat and pulling the point. Anybody done this before?

And Adam, don't worry about the fat buddy, I have an electric waring pro sausage maker that loves the fat.
Cheers,
W

Back