Brisket experts: Tips on handling assorted flats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a galarneau

TVWBB Member
I've never done brisket before, but am seasoned on spares and pulled pork. I've read through most of the brisket posts here, and went to Sam's and ordered a case of brisket (2.08/lb).

But when I opened it, I was surprised to find eight partial assorted flats, ranging from 1.25-2.5 inches thick. Dang.

Now, seems from my reading that the best results are from a whole brisket, separated after 'cuing.

Lacking the point, though, seems I might be risking dryness. And obviously, I'm going to need to cook pieces basically the same thickness, to minimize differences in cooking speeds.

But what would you do? Foil after six hours or so?

Suggestions?

Hmmm...

If each has at least a 1/8" layer of fat I don't think you'll have much of a problem with dryness.

The bottom grate has a lower temp than the top grate. If you have to cook pieces with a large difference in thickness, I'd put the thinner pieces on the bottom grate and the thicker pieces on the top. I would think that they should then finish about the same time.

Thanks for the response ... the good thing about this is that with 4 pieces in the WSM right now, I can take a different approach with each one, and learn how to cook the rest of the case.

Wow, did this brisket turn out great. 10 hours on the smoke to 190F internal, foiled out of the smoker and sat until sliced 12 hours later.
Temps hovered between 225 and 250 for the entire cook, over hickory chips and oak chunks.

Flats alone were fine. Foiled a couple in the oven for an hour or two at 250, got a more falling-apart texture, slightly moister. But the nekkid brisket was fine and moist. A day or two and it might have dried out -- but it didn't live that long.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by a galarneau:
[qb] Wow, did this brisket turn out great. 10 hours on the smoke to 190F internal, foiled out of the smoker and sat until sliced 12 hours later.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you saying that what you wrapped in foil stayed above 140* for 12 hours?

Nope. Chucked it in the fridge and warmed it back up in a 250 oven.

Nothing would make your barbecue as memorable as sending everyone to the hospital with food poisoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back