Brisket Drippings

Jack Straw

TVWBB Fan
Hey Y'all -

Doing a brisket tonight and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to catch the "drippins" in a pan...if so how? Did it work? Was it good? Was it all fat and useless??? Thanks!

Jack
If you wrap at 190* and let rest for a couple of hours in a dry cooler, be carefull opening the foil and save all the liquids. can be used for gravy or add some to your sauce makes a nice touch.
Jim

I've used a pan on the bottom grate to collect turkey drippings and it worked out real well. I had more juice to work with than I usually have when cooking in the over.

As for the brisket, I usually just use what is left over in the foil after I've let it sit in the cooler. There should be more than enough liquid in there to make a nice gravy or you could even use it au juis.

Since I make several sauces for brisket that use the juices as an addition or a base (and serve it au jus as well), I require lots of juice. To facillitate this, I foil at around 160 an add beef stock (or stock mixed with wine). This gives me plenty with whick to work and is well-flavored. I know many people don't foil briskets during the cook but this approach works for me.

To answer your question, Jack, about drippings that are rendered during the cook: fatty? yes; useless? no. Though it might be more trouble to you than it's worth, you can collect them for other purposes--as an addition to some pâtés (if you make your own), as an addition to the oil for cooking french fries, as a smear to spread on overly trimmed brisket flats instead of using bacon. There are a few considerations (straining, cooking off the liquid, tasting--the more trouble than it might be worth part), but if you're interested let me know and I'll detail those issues.

Kevin - Speaking for myself, I'm interested. Any details you could provide about making sauces with the drippings would be appreciated.

Sure. Are you speaking of the sauces I use the juices from the rested brisket in? Or more details on the procedures for using the drippings that can be collected during the cook?

Well, I tried putting a drip pan on the bottom grate just to see what would happen and as I expected it was almost all fat. What was interesting was that I seemed to use quite a bit more water than on other cooks. I'm guessing that the fat floating on top of the water slows evaporation down to some degree. I do know this for sure, this was my best brisket to date. I went with Jim's advice and cooked it fat side down at 225-230* steady the entire cook (about 16 hrs). Let it rest for about 4 hrs. fat up wrapped in foil in a cooler. It couldn't have come out better! USDA choice helped too.

Sure,'Choice' helped, but I bet it was more your skill and approach that made it so good. Did you save the fat or pitch it?

Kevin
"Did you save the fat or pitch it?"
Just why do you want to know? lol
Jim

Kevin I re-read your post above and understand the reason for the question.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Kevin
"Did you save the fat or pitch it?"
Just why do you want to know? lol
Jim

Kevin I re-read your post above and understand the reason for the question. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was kinda wondering where you were coming from.

Jack-- If you save it, strain out the solids then taste it. It's not always suitable; depends on rub, smoke, etc.

Kevin - in answer to your follow-up to my question: I was most interested in sauce techniques/recipes using the drippings, but any information for making use of them would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff--

Sorry for the delay. I've posted some suggestions here. If you have any questions feel free to post them there or zip me an email. Address in my profile.

Back