Brisket Cook - tender but dry

BradyB

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 22.5 WSM. I have done a few smokes one it (chicken mostly). On Sunday I did my second brisket. My first one was a small flat I purchased from the grocery store (maybe around 5 lbs). It came out so moist and tender. That one I ran my smoker at 275 and pulled when the brisket got to around 200 (using the poke test the brisket was like butter).

My second brisket I did I got from a butcher shop and it was the flat, 9.7 lbs (although I think some of the point was still there, not sure). I also ran this around 275. However, my Maverick thermometer seemed to be having issues as the temp reading kept going up and down dramatically. I wasn't sure which to trust, so I went off the lid temp. For this one I let it go to about 180 and then foiled it. I started testing the poke test at about 195 and pulled off at about 205. When I was poking it, it felt the same as my first brisket. The toothpick went in and out like it was butter. However, when I sliced it (against the grain) it was tender and had great flavor, but it was dry. No where near as moist as my first brisket. Does this typically mean it was overcooked or undercooked?

Oh and for my second brisket it went on at 7:00 a.m. and I pulled it at about 1:30, so 6.5 hours.

I was able to slice it without any crumpling. Most of it was dry as in somewhat difficult to chew. It wasn't completely dry/tough and it was still tender though if that makes sense and the flavor was amazing. There was some crumpling when I was slicing it towards one end. They said it was a flat, but when I took it off one part slid right off the other, so I think the point was still attached. This part (the one that slid off which I think was the point) was the part that was somewhat crumpling when I sliced it.

Don't feel too bad - Brisket is one of the more difficult cuts to get "right" (but screwing-up a good one can get a bit expen$ive...)

Make sure that you're following the correct "plan":
-Flats are usually purchased already significantly trimmed. They cook faster and maybe adding moisture would be a good idea
-Whole Packers (Flat / Point / Fat Cap) take L-O-N-G and have much more of that self-basting fat

I'm still working on my brisky - (I'm trying to be a bit of an "old-school / purist", Salt & Pepper only / No foiling or cooking in liquid).
Last one I did (past Fall) came out quite moist and tender - I used a Beer Mop solution applied several times during cooking and had a good, consistent fire.
Previous attempts were tasty but a bit dry - still good / tender, but needed a bit of sauce / put on sammitches'.

Keep trying - you'll get better (and find creative ways to utilize your mistakes - I hear that dry smoked brisket is good if you cube it up and make Chili out of it.)
If it was easy - everybody would be cooking it.

Brady... Seems like it was both slightly overcooked (crumbling) and slightly undercooked (difficult to chew). As Ron noted, brisket are one of the more difficult cuts to get right. It can go from undercooked to just right in a matter of a few minutes. The same with going from just right to overcooked. That time shortens when foiled and/or running high temp. Just requires more attention at that point in time. Fun to cook. But even more fun to consume !

Thanks. It is definitely a challenging cut to do. I'll keep at it. Still tasted good. I'll have to try some of the different techniques that are out there next time.

Back