Brisket Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Joe Peterson

TVWBB Super Fan
Usually when I cook briskets, one of two things happen.

1) Cook to about 180, in which case the flat section turns out perfect and the point remains a little tough -- some of the fat and callogen in the point has not quite melted yet.

2) Cook to about 195, in which case the point section turns out perfect ? tender and juicy. But the flat section is a little dry.

How do I solve this?

I?m working with 10-12 pound Cryo-vac briskets I pick up at Smart and Final

In both cases, I cook until I hit temperature, then wrap in foil and towels and leave in a cooler for a couple of hours before slicing.

Questions:
1) Where do I put the thermometer, in the flat or the point?
2) What?s the optimal temperature?
3) Do I ignore the numbers and just cook until it?s tender with no resistance? When we say no resistance, does that mean in the flat, the point, or both?

Thanks,

Henry Joe

/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Henry Joe
The flat I find normally the last to tender up because it has less fat than the point.
I always test temp and for tenderness in the flat.
I target 188? internal in the flat and test for tenderness, If it's not as tender as I like then I let it go longer.
If the flat is where I want it then I will wrap and let it rest, during this period the point should be tender enough to used for chopped and in a lot of cases I can slice it (it doesn't slice as well as the flat).
Jim

Hi Heny Joe!

You can do one of two things........

1). Separate before cooking and freeze the piece you are not cooking for later use.

2). Leave together, cook until flat is done and then separate and place point back in cooker for a couple hours.

I have done both of these many times and they will both work for you. You will be able to tell where to cut these when separating...don't worry..it ain't brain surgery and it don't have to be perfect!

As to when it's done.....like Jim, I shoot for 185? and then test with fork or probe...you will know when it is tender enough. Then I wrap in foil after dumping 1/2 cup of beef broth on top of meat and let it rest for an hour or more. The point, I take to 200-210?...just like pork butt and then it will shred nice and easy. I only use the point for shredded beef...but that's just me.

Hope this helps...it's a good question and I have overcooked and undercooked many a brisket trying ot figure it out!

Henry Joe
The point I find normally is the last to tender up because it has more tough connective tissue than the flat.

Henry Joe-

I just did a brisket last week and cooked until the flat was 185. The point still had quite a bit of fat left, so I think I might go for 190 next time. It still was pretty tasty, though!

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back