Brisket & Butt at the same time?

Andy_STL

I am preparing for our 3rd annual BBQ party in about a month. The past 2 years I have cooked 4 butts overnight and then chicken after the butts are done. This year, I'd like to add brisket to the mix, but I don't really have enough time to cook them separately. Would it be ok to smoke 2 butts and 2 briskets at the same time? I don't want to risk ruining the meat, so if it's not advisable I could cook 1 brisket on my Performer. Thoughts?

I should mention that I have as 22" WSM.

Fools rush in...

I did it and I'm happy with the results, though I probably should have left the brisket on a little longer. I don't think you can do a HH brisket that way, but if you're happy going low 'n slow I'm not aware of any reason it should not work. (Operative word - not aware. There are more knowledgeable folks here and I'll be happy to hear what they have to say.)

I put the brisket on the top grate because I figured it would finish first. I also smoked some brats on the space around the brisket.

More details about my smoke here.

Of course you can.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

As far as what to put where, that's up to you. Some butt/brisket rubs work so good together that butts basting a brisket will make some of the best tasting brisket bark you've ever had. However, I've also smoked a brisket under butts once without thought to the rubs used, and the brisket bark didn't turn out near as good. Cooking the butts on the bottom rack will probably end up with more evenly cooked briskets though, and I've done that too without ever having the pork butt bark to taste "beefy". Lots of folks cook 'em together like that. Of course, cooking in pans are popular nowadays, and although that's an easy way to keep flavors seperate, it's not necessary. It's definately an option, though.

I've done it before without issue. I also agree with the previous poster to make sure your rub is compatible for both.

Thanks for the feedback!

For those who have done this, did you find that the one of the meats needed to stay on the smoker longer than the other? Should I still plan to smoke right around 225 degrees?

Originally posted by Andy_STL:
... did you find that the one of the meats needed to stay on the smoker longer than the other? Should I still plan to smoke right around 225 degrees?
In my case the butts were larger than the brisket and lower in the smoker (where it is not as hot.) The brisket came off first, though that was probably premature.

225° measured at the grate would be a temperature I would be happy with.

Hey Andy I just did the same cook a few weeks back. I used a full waterpan with butts on bottom, I feel butts are alot easier and take much less maintenance then brisket. The cook went off without a hitch and after about 12hrs had enough fuel left to do 50 chicken legs and 6lbs of sausage. Good luck and enjoy the temp break here in STL.

Hey Andy I just did the same cook a few weeks back. I used a full waterpan with butts on bottom, I feel butts are alot easier and take much less maintenance then brisket. The cook went off without a hitch and after about 12hrs had enough fuel left to do 50 chicken legs and 6lbs of sausage. Good luck and enjoy the temp break here in STL.

I was thinking that I could do 1 butt and 1 brisket on each grate and switch the top/bottom at the halfway point. Any reason this isn't a good idea? Also, I'm assuming I can get a brisket and butt on the same grate, but I haven't tried it yet. I may not have enough real estate on the 22" grate.

An average size brisket and butt should both fit on the top rack, no problem. If they don't, then cook on seperate grates, and I'd probably put the brisket on the top grate. Pound for pound, butts take longer to reach tenderness, but I always make sure I have enough time to let a brisket rest at least a couple of hours wrapped up in a cooler. Longer is even better. Don't know what size you're talking, but assuming the brisket is done first (cooked on the top grate), I'd move the butt to the top grate at that time. Good luck with it.

An average size brisket and butt should both fit on the top rack, no problem. If they don't, then cook on seperate grates, and I'd probably put the brisket on the top grate. Pound for pound, butts take longer to reach tenderness, but I always make sure I have enough time to let a brisket rest at least a couple of hours wrapped up in a cooler. Longer is even better. Don't know what size you're talking, but assuming the brisket is done first (cooked on the top grate), I'd move the butt to the top grate at that time. Good luck with it.

I'm actually talking about 2 butts and 2 briskets. We're expecting around 40-45 people at the party. So I am thinking 1 butt and 1 brisket per grate. Hoping to get the meat at Sams or Costco. I think those butts are usually 7-8 lbs each. Does that sound right? I'm not exactly sure how big the briskets are, maybe 10 lbs?

Gotcha. You've got a big wsm, and I would go with big meat if it was me. Less surface area means moister meat. My best pork butts so far were a little over nine pounds, and I prefer briskets 12-15lbs, but the main thing is to look for decent thickness in the flat.

Yeah, I guess one of each will fit better, so that might keep the end of the flats farther from the hot perimeter of the grate. I cooked briskets/butts on my old UDS with 22.5" grates, but rarely more than one rack at a time so that issue never came up. Good thinking.

Anyway, if cooking with water in the pan, the top grate will cook faster. Vise versa if not using water, although a clay pot base in the pan helps. Since the briskets will probably be done before the butts, put the bottom rack brisket next to the door so you can check for tenderness without lifting the top grate out.

Andy I have a 22" and bought my brisket and butts at Costco. The butts were about 7.5lb each, and the briskets were 12lb untrimed. I did have to knock on the window to get the full packers from the butchers, with a little explaining what a packer was I got what I needed.
The two briskets fit on the top rack with no problem, about a half inch space between the two and plenty of room around sides. It will not be hard to place the briskets on the grate when you get them home before you bring them in the house.
I like to use the Paul Kirk method and flip at the half times and spray or mop and just fiddle with the meat so it makes this alot easier on the top rack. Just my two cents.

Hank, earlier in this post you mentioned that HH would not work. I do them regularly and they work fine. As long as you control the done times separately and accurately no problem.
I will do them together in comp in a couple weeks, I have confidence in HH cooking.

Mark

Originally posted by mk evenson:
Hank, earlier in this post you mentioned that HH would not work. I do them regularly and they work fine. As long as you control the done times separately and accurately no problem.
I will do them together in comp in a couple weeks, I have confidence in HH cooking.

Mark
I've been wrong before.
icon_wink.gif
I've heard plenty of discussion of HH briskets but was not aware that you could do butts HH as well.

Good luck in your competition! (Or is it break a leg?)

Back