Brisket - Anyone inject?

I used DR. BBQ's beef injection for my last brisket, and it was the best I've ever made. I won't give away his simple recipe, you'll have to buy the book.

A lot of top competitors use Joe Ames Fab-B to inject brisket.

Clausen

Thanks, Clausen.

Last-Minute-Lizzie here. I have about 2 hours before I do a test run on an over-trimmed flat.

Guess I'll have to wait for Dr. BBQ's book method. It is on my list, though, especially with your recommendation. Can't have too many books! From what I've read on the threads, I like his style.

Rita

I have a friend in East Texas who injects his briskets with Dr. Pepper.

Frankly, it is some of the best I've ever had!

Good Luck!

Wow!
I didn't know I'd made the Wisconsin Rapids Tribune.

Here's the recipe.

Big Cow Beef Injection
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix well and refrigerate before injecting.

Makes 2 1/4 cups
Recipe from "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook

Thanks, all, and especially Ray. I might do another brisket very soon and will have to give the injection a try.

Ray, as to the beef broth, do you make homemade for this injection? I'm thinking that the canned might be too salty and tinny-flavored.

Rita

P.S. Thanks for your interesting forum here. I read every one of the posts yesterday.

Thanks for the nice words Rita.
This recipe is for broth made with Knorr cubes. I find them to be pretty good. I try not to make my recipes too high brow, and most people just don't actually make home made stock. BTW, if you do, you'll probably need to add some salt.

Thanks, Ray. I'm glad I asked - I never gave cubes a thought. Thank you very much for such a speedy reply! I'll let you know how it works for me.

Rita

Rita, could you post your instructions for injecting. I just ordered an injector and have no idea how to use it correctly. I've tried a search on this site but evidently didn't go back far enough. Would appreciate anybody elses techniques also. Maybe Chris could do a video on this topic?

Paul, I think this subject deserves its own special topic. I'll start a new thread specifically asking about "the technique of injecting."

Rita

My local grocery stores in No. Virginia carry a stock made by Kitchen Basics in 8 oz juice boxes. Great stuff for a buck! The last time I made consomme from scratch I think it cost about $20.

Clausen

Back