Brisket and ribs

Mark Rosen

TVWBB Member
Going to try my first brisket this weekend. Thought about cooking up some ribs too. Does it make sense to start with the brisket on the lower rack and then do the ribs on the upper rack towards the end of the session?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Rosen:
Going to try my first brisket this weekend. Thought about cooking up some ribs too. Does it make sense to start with the brisket on the lower rack and then do the ribs on the upper rack towards the end of the session? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on several things.....what kind of ribs, how big is the brisket, do you plan on foiling the ribs and/or brisket and what temp range do you plan on cooking in?

Spare ribs generally take me around 6 hours (foil at the 4hr mark) and loin backs (aka-baby backs) around 4.5-5 hours (foil at the 2.5-3hr mark) cooking in the 245º-260º range . And briskets take about 1-1.5 hr per lb at those temps (foiling at 190º).

I usually do baby back and do NOT foil. This will be my first brisket. Open to suggestions, but was thinking of trying the midnight brisket recipe on the site.

Back