brisket and pork ribs wood choice

BrianRichards

TVWBB Member
I'm making a brisket and some ribs on Sunday. I have was thinking of using a couple of different woods for the smoke. I was thinking of doing the brisket with 1 chunk of hickory and 2 of pecan. After about 8 hours throw in 3 chunks of apple to do the ribs with? Brisket is 10#'s untrimmed. That sound about right? Will any of the wood flavors not meld very well? I'm more concerned about the hickory over powering the pecan and apple. I have plenty of wood to skip hickory altogether.

hickory will liekly overpower the others so use taht right off the bat on the brisket then when you put the ribs on put in your fruit wood.

Brian,
The conundrum you are experiencing is why I have multiple WSMs.
When doing two different meats, I fire up two different WSMs.
Brisket WSM would get oak and cherry.
Rib WSM would get hickory.

Hickory will overpower the pecan somewhat, and since the are really similar, I would think about doing hickory and apple, then switch to all apple.
If you wait till the hoickory

for me there is. i can't really handle hickory but have no problem with pecan. wood smoke really is a personal like, dislike thing.

Originally posted by mike tu:
no difference between hickory and pecan..IMO its just a mental thing

Hickory/apple hickory/cherry All hickory, fewer chunks. Pecan, pecan/apple, pecan/cherry. Apple Oh what the heck, it's all good

Originally posted by mike tu:
no difference between hickory and pecan..IMO its just a mental thing
DUDE! you can smell the difference when they are burning. They don't smell anything like one another nor do they taste alike. I have a pretty sensitive sniffer, so maybe that's it. But they are very different, IMO.
icon_wink.gif

Nothing smells or tastes like Hickory but Hickory.
I'd use Hickory on the beef, and cherry on the ribs.
icon_smile.gif

I'm also doing ribs and brisket only I have a smaller brisket. It's a little under 5 pounds but has a nice fat cap. I have some red oak, cherry and sugar maple. Should I use a combination or go with just one wood for the whole cook? I also have some apple chips I could utilize when I put the ribs on.

Anyone have an opinion?

Not meaning to hijack BrianRichards' thread, but I didn't see a reason to start a new one.

And a Happy Fourth of July weekend to all!

Originally posted by Randy J.:
I'm also doing ribs and brisket only I have a smaller brisket. It's a little under 5 pounds but has a nice fat cap. I have some red oak, cherry and sugar maple.
Anyone have an opinion?
Randy, I'd do a 50/50 of oak and cherry. If you were just doing ribs I'd go with the sugar maple. I myself don't care for maple on beef. HTH

So I ended up doing some pecan with a hint of maple for most of the brisket cook. When I added the ribs it was time to foil the brisket and I did the ribs with apple finished with a Chipotle Cherry BBQ sauce.

Along with some ABTs and a fatty. Brisket came out awesome, I can tell there's some additional sweetness from the pecan. In the future I might even be able to tell the wood just from tasting the meat!
icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the help

Back