Brisket and how to make burnt ends question

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
I have a 12 lb packer, going on the smoker, tonight, around 9:00pm or so. I plan on cooking this over night, at around 235-245F, foil at 160F, and let it continue to cook, until around 190-195F or so. This always works out for me, but I haven't mastered the burnt ends part. The flat always comes out nice, moist, and tasty. The point usually needs more cooking, or it becomes like streaded beef type, or not completely rendered.

How to to you make burnt ends. Do I cut off the point, after the flat is done, and put it back in the smoker? I have heard of cuting that point into cubes. How do you do that.

What is the best method of making burnt ends????

Thanks for your help.

When do you want to eat them, same day? If so here's how I do it: when the flat is done I remove/slice the point from the flat, throw the point back on for around 3 hours, after three hours I cube and mix with SBR, Honey and Chipotle powder, put in a pan and back on the smoker until desired "burntness." If you're doing later I just foil the entire brisket prior to slicing I remove the point, cool and vac. seal for a later date.

Here's a PICTURE of mine, so tasty, oh so tasty. I took my method for burnt ends (don't know if it varies) from Bryan S.

That pic is great. The burnt ends look incredible. I've always wanted to make burnt ends. Usually I just shred the point, vac and freeze it, then use it in beans or to make a sandwich. I'm going to try this soon.

Wow, those burnt ends looks very tasty. Thanks for the tips. I think I will go with that. When I slice off the point, and put it back onto the smoker, do I foil the point again? Or leave the foil off, and then cube the point, and put it in a pan? Either way, that sounds very tasty. Thanks for your help.

No foil, put the whole point back on for a few hours. Then remove, cube, mix with your sauce, put in a pan and put back on until desired "doneness."

Yeah, don't use foil with your burnt ends. Foil retains moisture. You want the meat to dry out and become chewy, almost jerky-like.

From what I understand, burnt ends started as actual the burnt ends off of briskets. What we do (and some joints that specialize in burnt ends) is to try to approximate that using the point.

Just think: dark, smokey, crusty, and well-rendered. It's not hard to do, it just takes time, after the flat is done. Chopping into chunks helps speed up the process and create more surface area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
No foil, put the whole point back on for a few hours. Then remove, cube, mix with your sauce, put in a pan and put back on until desired "doneness." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Heads Up. Don't put the sauce on till the very end, or the BBQ sauce will burn and become very bitter.
icon_wink.gif
After I cube the point, I sprinkle with some more rub when I put them in the foil pan. Then cook till they render down to your liking, about another 2 hrs. or so, then sauce and cook for another 20-30 min.
icon_smile.gif
I always high heat my briskets so it takes about 8 hrs. to do the burnt ends. Will take longer if going the low and Oh so slow route.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back