Brisket & 2 Whole Chickens

C Rooks

Hey gang! I'm going to be smoking a 5lb brisket along with 2 whole chickens and just had a light bulb go off. If I place the chickens on the top rack then as they cook down the juices would fall to the brisket and vice versa. Not a healthy nor tasty combination. Is there something I could do in order to keep the brisket drippings from falling on the chickens? Maybe a pan or something...I don't know. Starting at 6am tomorrow. Thanks for any input.

Chris

After putting my creative juices in to action I came up with a "drip pan". I found a chef's basket in the back of my grillin' drawer so I lined it with a couple layers of aluminum foil, took the wires off of 2 binder clips and buttoned it to the bottom of the top rack. Since my chickens will be done first I want them on top so most of their juices will drip in to the pan and not harm the taste or flavor of the brisket.
IMAG0790.jpg

IMAG0789.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Reed:
you could just set the chickens in the pan,would work better if you have beer can racks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought of that but my chickens are too big to fit both in the pan. I'm running on the 18.5" inch WSM. That would have worked perfectly on the big boy though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimH:
I'd do chickens on top with the brisket underneath. No pan needed, let the chicken baste the brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yah. The brisket will be in waaaaaay longer than the chicks will be. Everything will be cooked properly and there is no danger of chick juice contaminating your bull meat.

Thanks for the input guys. Everything turned out incredible. Used one chicken for our buffalo chicken dip and the other for pulled chicken sandwiches. Here's an extreme close up of the brisket...
IMAG0800.jpg

Back