briquettes most similar to lump?

dave_scarpetti

TVWBB Member
I like lump, but I like the even burn of briquettes (don't like the massive amount of smothering residue though).

Anyone have a favorite briquette that's almost like lump? Thanks.

Cool, think I've seen them around, thanks!
****, can't find Rancher in Columbus, OH.
I checked Naked Whiz and there's no info on Stubbs. Anyone know what the residual ash on Stubbs is?

Originally posted by dave_scarpetti:
Cool, think I've seen them around, thanks!
****, can't find Rancher in Columbus, OH.
I checked Naked Whiz and there's no info on Stubbs. Anyone know what the residual ash on Stubbs is?
I like Stubbs better than Rancher! Stubbs, high quality low ash.

Hey Dave, check Trader Joe's, I believe they carry Rancher packaged under the Trader Joe name. Last year, it was like 6.99 for 20 lbs. Not sure if they have it in stock, yet.

Shaun, got a couple bags of Stubbs, about $8 for 15 lbs.

Pete, thanks, any reason to got to Trader Joe's. I saw that stuff last year and the guy at the register said customers raved about it. Great price too!

The reason I needed low ash is for this thing: I call it the Firedome. It burns really hot and needs a charge or two over a couple hours. Too much ash would smother things. I tried wood around the yard, but the smoke taste on the pizza was just a bit too much.

Originally posted by Shaun R:
I like Stubbs better than Rancher! Stubbs, high quality low ash.

It's been quite a while since HD sold the Rancher in these parts, but I'm pretty sure that Shaun is right, if memory serves me. Stubbs is the best and lowest ash briquette that I've used so far, and I only wish it was a little cheaper. I've heard that Wicked Good briquettes are the best, but I've never tried 'em. Yesterday though, I ordered my first bag of RO chef's select briquettes from doitbest.com. Hopefully, it does as good or better than Stubbs (at a little better price).

For what it's worth. Rancher is great stuff too. You can't beat it at TJ's price of $6.99 for and #18 bag. I bought one last night. Rancher briquettes at OSH hardware is almost $10 an #18 bag. I like Stubbs a little better, but it's a #15 bag for 8.99. Look for it towards the end of November. I bought it on sale at the end of last year for $5.99 a bag.

Stubbs worked well in my high temp application, but I'm definitely going to grab some TJ/Rancher. How do you know TJ is the same as Rancher? That's pretty interesting.

Originally posted by dave_scarpetti:
Stubbs worked well in my high temp application, but I'm definitely going to grab some TJ/Rancher. How do you know TJ is the same as Rancher? That's pretty interesting.
I have been told directly from The Original Charcoal Co (the makers of Rancher) that they sell Rancher under the Trader Joes label. Buy some and take a look-you will know right away that it is Rancher.

Humphrey's has some hardwood briquets that work really well (they have some really nice lump as well). I have also used rancher from TJ's - I currently have a few bags stocked up for the winter here on the east coast - the tj's out here don't stock it during the winter.
Mike

Not sure about the residual ash on Stubbs, but I did enjoy using it when I bought it. FAR superior to Kingsford, in my opinion.

Don't have Rancher around here, but have also heard really good stuff about it.

You can't go wrong with either one.
icon_smile.gif

Wicked Good's Weekend Warrior Blend Briquettes, hands down. Nothing, to me, rivals it. Very low ash. Lower than many lump brands.

Wicked Good's Weekend Warrior Blend Briquettes, hands down. Nothing, to me, rivals it. Very low ash. Lower than many lump brands.

I tried this last summer as I was able to buy it locally. I haven't used any other brand but I agree with Kevin that it works really well.

Go grab an online ad for Stubb's from Lowe's for either half price, or buy one/get one free. There are a couple of posts here on Trading Post that will give you a local zip code to get Stubb's for half price from their usual $8.48/bag.

Used Stubb's last night for the first time and it is the best briquette I have used. When this runs out, I will pick up some Rancher from Trader Joe's.

Wicked Good is the best but I only have about ten bags left. I had it shipped in from the company and the shipping price was good on a large order. Stubbs is even or runs a close second so I'll be stocking up on that when the Wicked runs out. I want to give Stubbs another try.

Back