Brinkman water pan mod

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It seems for an all night smoke the wayto go is with the larger Brinkman water pan mod. Is there any down side to using the larger pan?
Thanks

Harry-

Short answer is "no". Long answer is "no". Ok, so I haven't found one!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif More capacity, longer cook w/o refill, more stable on the supporting brackets, no discernible loss of airflow.

Get ye a Brinkman charcoal pan! NOTE: As ChrisA points out in his Mods section, you want the Brinkman CHARCOAL PAN to replace the WSM water pan.

Rich G.

I kept the water pan from my old charbroil smoker which is the same size as the brinkman. I've used it a couple times on long cooks and haven't noticed any difference in performance. I can go about 6 hours without having to add water. That's great for overnighters. I still use the WSM pan for shorter cooks like ribs. I also use it when I do chicken. I just foil line the smaller pan and leave it empty. However, to get back to your question. There is no change in performance that I've seen using the larger pan.

The only downside I've found is that the larger capacity also makes a larger mess if you're not careful when removing it for cleaning. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I used the 2 gal Brinkman water pan for my first long smoke. I did a boneless pork butt for 11 hrs with out the need to refill. The butt turned out great with a yield of about 50%. Thanks for all the good advice.
Harry

To avoid confusion what you want is the Brinkman charcoal pan. As Rich indicated earlier. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

What you really might consider is using sand, instead of water, in the Brinkman pan.

I have three brand new Weber water pans as I never used them once. I've used the Brinkmann charcoal pan since day one with water and am very happy. Just one word of caution for water all water pans. Lining the pan with foil and then adding water can have bad unintended results if the water wicks up and drips on the fire.

I have just checked the Brinkmann web site and find they have 2 types of charcoal pans. One is porcelain and the other is aluminized?! Here is the link for the aluminized.
Brinkmann Aluminized Charcoal Pan

The aluminized looks bigger; I like the more vertical sides vs. the sloping sides of the porcelain. I wonder which would last longer, clean easier, and if any "taste" effect of the aluminum would occur.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>One is porcelain and the other is aluminized?! Here is the link for the aluminized. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmmm... better take a closer at that image.

The aluminized one seems to have slits in the bottom and holes in the side.

It just might be a bit tough getting that one to hold water. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
[qb]Lining the pan with foil and then adding water can have bad unintended results if the water wicks up and drips on the fire. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>For this reason, I've taken to not lining the inside of the pan with foil anymore, just the outside. It seems that the inside cleans up pretty easy--it's the bottom of the pan with the baked-on smoke that's a booger to clean.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
[qb]
it's the bottom of the pan with the baked-on smoke that's a booger to clean.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just curious, do you really need to clean all of the smoke off the bottom of the pan? Since it's not pork fat drippings, wouldn't a quick wipe-down suffice?

---Russ

A quick wipe-down won't make a dent in the smoke that coats the bottom of the pan on just a single cook-- it's definitely a steel wool or Soft Scrub job.

What I'm trying to ask is if it really makes a difference having a smoke build-up on the bottom of the water pan? Is it going to affect the cook in taste, temp control, etc?

No, a smoke-covered pan won't make any difference in the performance of the cooker or the taste of the food. Keeping the bottom of the pan clean is just a personal preference.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back