Brinkman Mods

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
I know this is not the right discussion group, but this is the most active. So here goes.

Hello,
I have a friend who bought a Brinkmann Square Vertical Smoker. He is having trouble with ultra low heat. I did some mods on my 1st ECB years ago, but tossed it after I got my WSM. Does anyone know of a good web link to help him out?? Pictures would be very helpfull.

My newbie friend said he can’t get it above 150 stock out of the box. He has to finish his smokes in the oven. I know there is a way to “Tim Taylor this up some as I did with my 1st EBC.

It good to here from ya,

tmfast,

Does your friend have one similar to this one?
Brinkmann Vertical Smoker

I have an El Cheapo similar to the one shown except it sits on 4 legs rather than a cart. I picked it up several years ago on a clearance sale for about $20-30. It's pretty flimsy metal and has serious issues holding heat as you indicate. I never modified mine as I found a way to make lemonade out of the situation. Since it doesn't do a good job heating, it's perfect for smoking peppers. I use mine as a dedicated pepper smoker as I make a lot of chipotle and smoked habaneros.

If I were going to try to modify this, I would personally drill some holes in the bottom of the charcoal pan to prevent ash from smothering the coals and improve air flow. You should have 4 vents, 2 high and 2 low, left and right, so you should be good on ventilation. If that alone didn't do the trick, I'd next lose the water in the water pan and go with sand as a heat sink. That ought to do the trick, but if it's the same one I have, I honestly would be starting to worry about melting the sides!
icon_biggrin.gif

I used one of these for years and made some fine Q on it. I have Never had a problem with this smoker in regards to not getting hot enough. I sometimes found that i would have to adjust to keep the temp from getting too high. The problem with this smoker is the thin metal and you have to babysit it alot. Hence the upgrade to the WSM. I agree with the other poster in that you must drill holes in the charcoal pan. I damn near turned mine into swiss cheese, but it worked much better after that, and i went with sand in the pan.

Back