Brining the Butt?

I don't really get what the point would be in brining (or injecting). Butts have plenty of moisture and fat already.

What is the problem with your pork that you want to fix?

Well, make sure you use a flavorful rub. Any additional requirements can be added after cooking, during pulling. I add a finishing sauce during pulling; any other sauce(s) I serve on the side.

I've only made PP a few times & I don't know the name of the cuts, but once I picked one up from walmart instead of costco & it was covered in skin - it was terrible compared to the ones I get @ Costco - I gave most of it away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:
I've only made PP a few times & I don't know the name of the cuts, but once I picked one up from walmart instead of costco & it was covered in skin - it was terrible compared to the ones I get @ Costco - I gave most of it away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen those, pretty sure that was a picnic?

I really couldn't tell. I'm sure it'd absorb more smoke & rub flavoring w/o the skin that wasn't eaten anyway so I guess that should always be removed; I suppose it was just another case of operator error.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Well, make sure you use a flavorful rub. Any additional requirements can be added after cooking, during pulling. I add a finishing sauce during pulling; any other sauce(s) I serve on the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree.....

I've been a part of trying numerous things to add 'this or that'....especially for competition purposes. IMHO NOTHING we tried added 'enough' to make it worth the extra effort that a finishing sauce would not add add. Like Kevin said, if you want to add more to your pork do it with additional rub or sauce after pulling.

I don't know Larry. I just finished eating the pulled pork I started this with. I imjected it with a brinish solution, slathered it, and rubbed it. It was the best I had so far. Maybe it wasn't the injection, but it was great none-the-less. Everything I'm foiling lately is really turning out well. Maybe it's just a combination of things...

jury is still out for me. I was in the "make you additions afterwords" camp, however I'm not totally sure.

I decided to give injections another go, but this time, rather than try some voodoo, I went with a simple, basic brine. I found there was a bit of a difference in the final texture of the meat, enough to give me reason to further this line of experimentation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Helps keep them moist and adds flavour. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

certainly will keep the wet, not sure about moist.

For Smoke Day,I did two butts,one my regular Phil-b-que. The other one I injected with Franks' Extra Hot hot sauce,and rubbed with a S Raichlen rub that has LOTS of cayenne. Very spicy and yummy! The heat was all the way through the meat. Like I said,very yummy. HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
More flavor! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erik, <span class="ev_code_RED">flavor</span>, that is why we go to the trouble.
This wont be the first time I have disagreed with the Gurus! lol No offense guys. Just because I disagree doesnt mean im right.

We always inject. The flavors get cooked into the meat instead of just mixed in. But it depends on what is used as not all injections are equal. I used to agree that it wasnt good, or just a waste of time & effort.
Injected with plain apple juice isnt worth the trouble. You have to do a lot more then that.jmho.

With that said, I have tried many many injections and a big % was a failure. FAILURE! Not anymore and I bet most of the doubters would be surprised with our final product. I ought to bottle the stuff.
icon_razz.gif

Its Perrylicious! haha

On edit:
The finishing sauce Kevin gave everybody is great. Tried it and loved it. Everything of his always is good. Larrys WRB is my go to rub most of the time. I have lots respect for both of these guys cooking skills and consider them friends i havent met, yet.
Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Well, make sure you use a flavorful rub. Any additional requirements can be added after cooking, during pulling. I add a finishing sauce during pulling; any other sauce(s) I serve on the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My dear wife just bought me a WSM for my first Father's Day a few weeks ago and I am an instant junkie. I tried a vinegar-based NC sauce similar to your finishing sauce with my first butt and absolutely loved it -- it really enhanced the flavor of the PP without overpowering it like many of the KC/Memphis style sauces do. So, here's my noob question: has anybody ever tried injecting butts with a thin vinegar sauce? I was thinking of using the vinegar sauce from the Smoke 'n Spice book for an expiremental injection but thought I'd ask here before I tried.

T,go ahead and try it! You might just like it. There are a lot of different opinions here. But,the great thing is,everyone is right! And if you don't like the results,you know what NOT to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not anymore and I bet most of the doubters would be surprised with our final product. I ought to bottle the stuff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude-Man, Don't leave us hanging...what's the secret? :-)
I just did 2 butts yesterday and used K Krugers finishing sauce as well. Beautiful stuff!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dude-Man, Don't leave us hanging...what's the secret? :-) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, not sharing can get you into loads of trouble around here.
icon_wink.gif

actually, I respect secrets, it makes things more interesting.

So I'll be devils advocate. I have not injected my butts ever. Figured I could get what I needed by working the finishing process, and that as worked out great.

There is the thought somehow that if you want more heat or flavor the only advantage that just might be of value for injecting is that you are cooking it in. I agree that simply using the lighter injections like apple juice, etc would not be worth it, and I have a trouble thinking how it could be.

But - if you are someone who was a previous non-believer in injecting and changed up, it would be fun to continue this thread.

It would be cool to hear more from Dale about what he used when he made the transition and why he thinks it worked better than simply adding stuff during the finishing process.

I was at a bbq joint yesterday and the owner was telling me that he always injects the butts and leaves them in the fridge for 24 hours. 10 minutes later he came out of the kitchen with a little bowl of pork he had just pulled and it was the best I've ever had. Granted I'm no pro, but I've done quite a few butts and never injected them. I now have an injector and I'm not afraid to use it! I love the idea of injecting with Franks Red Hot, I already use cayenne in my rubs.
I'm going to give it a try and compare it with a non-injected butt using Mr. Krugers finishing sauce. I can't imagine either being anything but great, so long as I can do my part.

Ok - I've been doing butts for a long time and with good success and reliability. Been eating PP sammies all week from the last cook, 8 lbs were given away to fans, but hey it was family maybe they were lying when they said the liked it because they didn't have to cook
icon_wink.gif

I've been doing butts the same way for a long time now and am going to try a number of new things. Last two cooks I did different rubs and finishing than I would do typically. Also have not been doing the long rub overnight in the fridge.

If someone has been injecting and is convinced that a cooked in flavor from injecting that they do is better then after the pull mixed in finish and spicing - share with us. And in my next butt cook I'll give it a shot! Never injected butts. Used to mop, and stopped that as a worthless activity.

Always willing to experiment, and that's what I've done so far this year, just to keep things interesting.

Then again I'm talking about injecting not brining.

Back