Brining the Butt?

If you think about it. injecting gets flavor to the parts of the butt that you can't get to. The same applies to injecting Turkey which I did years ago when I fried Turkeys. I really believe that it helps. My best pulled pork was injected. I think there is a different flavor profile versus adding after you pull the pork, which I do as well. The more flavor you can get in that Butt, all the more better. I don't understand the " I don't need it, never used it reasoning" And I'm certainly no professional smoker.

I agree that injecting flavor into turkeys, which is usually served without sauce, can be helpful. the same goes for brisket, where a plain slice will often seem woefully un-beefy.

Where I'm at though is in a slightly different place, I'm mostly concerned about moistness, and I think salt plays a very key role here.

People can say what they want about how they use water in their pan, cook low and slow, or mop and baste all day to keep their meat moist, but I'm not sold. Internal moisture is associated with the cells and you got to be craftier than that to get moisture in there and keep it there throughout a long and grueling cook. Its been well documented how brines and "enhancers" work to keep meat moist, and from my own experimentation injected brines do make a difference.

Along with moisture, they also get flavoring in to where the smoke can't penetrate. I think moisture also comes from the break down of the internal fatty tissue.

Back