Brining pork butt

Dave O (Alaska)

TVWBB Pro
I was looking at the receipe for chris lilly's championship injection and noticed that it looks like a brine. I have brined pork tenderloin before and it came out great but never a fattier cut like butt. Has anyone ever brined a pork butt?
DAve

Nope, it's not needed.

If you want a different flavor, injection will take care of that, but I've never even injected one. There's too much good flavor in one naturally. Once pulled, a finishing sauce will add a little different flavor and moisture if you prefer. I hate to mess with a good pork butt, but vinegar (based light sauce) really enhances the flavor of pork.

needed is subjective.

I do a pb that I brine with a mix of ps seasonings pork mix, and a lb of their maple cure. i add that to a gallon of water and brine two buts overnight in the fridge.

I then coat the butts lightly with a rub (not a salty one as there is a lot of salt in the pork seasoning) and smoke it as normal.

I like the results.

I dont think its "standard", but its tasty and a nice change from the standard bbq butts.

I say do whatever you like, try new things, and see what happens.

One catch is I dont comp cook, so I am the final judge of my cooking
icon_smile.gif

Most choose to inject butts over brining. I think it would take close to a week of brining to get the same kind of penetration an inject could in 15 min.

I have a post around here where I brined a fresh ham which was a bit larger that a butt. I injected it and let it soak for several days before smoking it.

Like others have mention, butts are pulled so seasonings can always be adjusted afterwords

While brining is a nice change of pace,injecting will get the flavors down deeper into the meat.

Back