Brining Brisket

Mark Powell

People generally snub their noses at the thought of Brining Beef - Brisket (unless you're going for corned Beef etc). But I used this recipe from Cook's Illustrated (below) in conjuction with the midnight cook to achieve the best Brisket I (and all others present) ever ate. On the CI recipe, I followed through step 2 before shifting to midnight cook. I used a 5 # flat with fat trimmed to 3/8". Foiled at 165 and cooked to 195 and rested in cooler for an hour. My Oh MY!!!!!

I had Mark's brisket on the first brine attempt. It was the best, most juicy, flavorful brisket I had ever had. Can't say for sure it was the brine that made it, but it certainly didn't hurt it.

it would be good if he linked the recipe... will have ot yank his chain...
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for that Treveor. Sorry and here is the Brine recipe:
Barbecued Beef Brisket for a Gas Grill
Serves 18 to 24. Published November 3, 2006.

Cooking a whole brisket, which weighs about 10 pounds, may seem like overkill. However, the process is easy, and the leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. (Leave leftover brisket unsliced, and reheat the foil-wrapped meat in a 300-degree oven until warm.) Still, if you don’t want to bother with a big piece of meat or if your grill has fewer than 400 square inches of cooking space, barbecuing brisket for less than a crowd is easy to do. Simply ask your butcher for either the point or flat portion of the brisket, whichever cut you prefer. Then follow the master recipe, reducing the spice rub by half and grill-smoking for 1 1/2 hours. Wrap the meat tightly in foil and reduce its time in the oven to 2 hours. No matter how large or small a piece you cook, it’s a good idea to save the juices the meat gives off while in the oven to enrich the barbecue sauce. Hickory and mesquite are both traditional wood choices with brisket.

Ingredients
Spicy Chili Rub
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Brisket
1 whole beef brisket (point and flat cut together), 9 to 11 pounds, fat trimmed to 1/4-inch thickness
3 cups barbecue sauce (store-bought if preferred)
2 cups wood chips

Instructions
1. For Spicy Chili Rub: Mix all ingredients in small bowl.

2. Apply dry rub liberally to all sides of brisket; wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 and up to 48 hours.

3. For Brisket: About 1 hour prior to cooking, remove the brisket from the refrigerator, unwrap, and let it come up to room temperature. Soak the wood chips in cold water to cover for 30 minutes and drain. Place them in a foil tray, (see illustration below).

4. Place the tray on top of the primary burner. Light all the burners and turn to high, cover, and heat until the chips are smoking heavily, about 20 minutes. Scrape the cooking grate clean with a grill brush. Turn the primary burner down to medium and turn off the other burner(s). Position the brisket, fat side up, over the cooler part of the grill. Cover and barbecue for 2 hours. (The temperature inside the grill should be a constant 275 degrees; adjust the lit burner as necessary.)

5. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 300 degrees. Attach 2 pieces of heavy-duty foil, 4 feet long, by folding the long edges together 2 or 3 times, crimping tightly to seal well, to form an approximately 4 by 3 foot rectangle. Position the brisket lengthwise in the center of the foil. Bring the short edges over the brisket and fold down, crimping tightly to seal. Repeat with the long sides of the foil to seal the brisket completely. (See illustrations below.) Place the brisket on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the meat is fork-tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

6. Remove the brisket from the oven, loosen the foil at one end to release steam, and let rest for 30 minutes. If you like, drain the juices into a bowl (see illustration) and defat the juices in a gravy skimmer.

7. Unwrap the brisket and place it on a cutting board. Separate the meat into two sections and carve it on the bias across the grain into long, thin slices (see illustrations). Serve with plain barbecue sauce or with barbecue sauce that has been flavored with up to 1 cup of the defatted brisket juices.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">below ? and how was it better ?

george
cant live without spam </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry George.
Attached now.
Better because it was so moist - didn't change the texture like sometines happens with Chicken. It only brines for 2 hours. We are going to do a large smoke on 5/23 and basically I have watched with interest on MH-HH cooks lately but this came out so good - I really need to be talked into changing my ways.

If you brined a 5 lb brisket for two hours, the reason it did not change the texture at all, like with poultry ,is that it did not have enough time to do anything. I don't doubt that this brisket was , as you say, the best. I do doubt ,that any soaking in brine had anything to do with it.

Mark - what was your total cooktime? Also, I'd like your address so I can be there on the 23rd to be a judge of your next brisket
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by russell swift:
Mark, do you have the charcoal grill version of that recipe? How long can you let a 7-8 lb brisket sit on a charcoal grill? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russell, you can let it sit in indrect heat on a charcoal grill until it's done, if you so desire.

Brining brisket is very common among kosher deli's. Pastrami is brined first, then smoked, then reheated in a steam table.

I just watched a show on the FoodTV network. They featured one of the infamous delis in NY City. They brine their briskets for 30 days before cooking.

Brining beef for extended periods of time definately firms up the texture of the meat.

Can someone please tell me what part of this recipe is "brining"??? I can't seem to find any reference to a salt solution or even a coating of salt as in a dry brining process. It just looks like a recipe for cooking a brisket using a rub. What am I missing here??

Al

I don't know about brining a brisket or that particular recipe, but I've used a Cooks Illustrated rub that was intended for beef ribs for brisket with good results.

BARBECUED BEEF BRISKET ON THE GAS GRILL
Serves 8 to 10. Published July 1, 2007.
We prefer hickory wood chips to smoke our brisket. Pecan, maple, oak, or fruitwoods such as apple, cherry, and peach also work well. It is best to avoid mesquite, which turns bitter during the long process of barbecuing. It is necessary to divide the wood chips between two disposable aluminum pans, one with and one without water. The water in the one pan will delay the smoking of the chips, thus extending the time the brisket is exposed to smoke. If your brisket is smaller than 5 pounds or the fat cap has been removed, or if you are using a small 2-burner gas grill, it may be necessary to build a foil shield in order to keep the brisket from becoming too dark. (See illustration below.) A 5- to 6-pound point-cut brisket can be used in the recipe, but because it is a thicker piece of meat it may need to be finished in the oven (see instructions in step 5 of recipe). If using the fattier point cut, omit the step of brining. Some of the traditional accompaniments to barbecued brisket include barbecue sauce (see our related recipe for Texas-Style Barbecue Sauce), sliced white bread or saltine crackers, pickle chips (see related pickle tasting), and thinly sliced onion.
INGREDIENTS
5 - 6 pound beef brisket , flat-cut
2/3 cup table salt

1/2 cup sugar plus 2 additional tablespoons
4 cups wood chips
3 tablespoons kosher salt

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 small disposable aluminum pans
1 9-inch aluminum pie plate
INSTRUCTIONS
1. 1. Using sharp knife, cut slits in fat cap, spaced 1 inch apart, in crosshatch pattern, being careful to not cut into meat. Dissolve table salt and 1/2 cup sugar in 4 quarts cold water in stockpot or large bucket. Submerge brisket in brine and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. 2. While brisket brines, soak wood chips in water to cover for 30 minutes; drain. Remove brisket from brine and pat dry with paper towels; transfer to rimmed baking sheet. Combine kosher salt, pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in small bowl. Rub salt mixture over entire brisket and into slits.
3. 3. Drain chips and place 2 cups in small disposable aluminum pan. Place remaining 2 cups in another small disposable aluminum pan along with 1 cup water. Set pans on primary burner (burner that will remain on during barbecuing). Place the 9-inch aluminum pie plate filled with 2 cups water on other burner(s). Position cooking grate over burners. Turn all burners to high and heat with lid down until very hot, about 15 minutes. Scrape grate clean with grill brush. Turn primary burner to medium-high and turn off other burner(s).
4. 4. Place brisket fat-side down on grate over cooler side of grill, as far away from fire as possible without touching wall of grill. If brisket has pronounced thicker side, position it facing fire. Loosely tent meat with aluminum foil or build foil shield (see illustration below). Cook, without raising lid, for 3 hours. Transfer brisket to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.
5. 5. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Roast brisket until tender and instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 195 degrees, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Transfer brisket to cutting board and let rest for 30 minutes, loosely tented with foil. Cut brisket across grain into long, thin slices and serve immediately.
Two Cuts of Brisket Cut from the cow’s breast section, a whole brisket is a boneless, coarse-grained cut comprised of two smaller roasts: the flat (or first) cut and the point (or second) cut. The knobby point cut overlaps the rectangular flat cut. The point cut has more marbling and fat, and the flat cut’s meat is lean and topped with a thick fat cap. Our recipe calls for the widely available flat cut. Make sure that the fat cap isn’t overtrimmed and is 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick.

Whole Brisket: The point cut is on the left, the flat cut is on the right.

The point cut.

The flat cut.
STEP-BY-STEP

OK, the correct recipe is now posted. Note date is published is July 1, 2007. I'm sorry it's so late but I've had trouble logging in. Let's see if I can answer some of your questions: Jefferey and Clay. Total cook time was 12 hrs - address go to end of Lincoln and follow the smoke. Russell. Charcoal version is 3hrs add 10 unlit briquetts and go for 2-4 hrs or 195. if after 4hrs remove and place in 325 oven until 195.

Back