Brined Chicken

Morrey Thomas

TVWBB Super Fan
I am brining two 3.5 lb chickens to smoke/cook whole on my WSM. I use a Guru for temp control.

Two questions....

What temp will be best to cook the birds whole and give me a good crispy skin while maintaining moisture in the meat?

Since I will have a fairly short burn time, should I put one chimney of lit K on top on one chimney of unlit K to get heat on up there in a hurry? I am guessing two chinmeys will get my birds cooked. I usually Minion start just a few coals on my mound of K, so this quick start is new to me.

I use a foiled clay saucer if this makes a difference, and will have the WSM up to temp before putting chickens on.

Any suggestions will be helpful. I cook lots of pork butts, but few attempts at chicken.

Morrey,

If you're looking for crispy skin on your birds, make sure you let them air-dry in the fridge for at least 8 hours after you take them out of the brine.

Then, cook at temperatures above 300 degrees. Two chimneys of coal should be plenty. Let the lit sit on the unlit for 5 minutes to catch further before you assemble the WSM, and nix your clay saucer since there's no need for a heat sink on a high heat cook like this.

If you really want to crank the temp on your WSM, you can offset the lid by a quarter inch or so to increase airflow. With these methods I can run mine at about 370 for an hour and a half and then it settles in at 320 or so.

Good luck!

Good tips Dave. I should have realized air drying the birds in the fridge will help remove moisture in the skin which will contribute to that rubbery texture I want to avoid. Excellent response. Thanks!

Morrey,

Dave's advice is spot on. You can also give a light coating of oil or melted butter right before you put the birds on.

All good ideas. Will rub canola oil on skin as I put on grate. I use an ATC device (Guru) so getting to and maintaining a high temp is usually no problem. Think I will go for 350 and see how this cook goes.

All good advice, nothing to add but just want to say that in my experience definitely leave the pan out and let everything drip into the coals. You will be up high enough and with the lid on flares will be minimum and you'll be up high enough to protect the chicken. That dripping into the coals adds flavor IMHO. Makes the WSM into a "Carolina" cooker. This is also how I use the WSM for roadside chicken.

You don't have to air dry your bird overnight. I have done it both ways with little difference. In my experience, the temperature plays a much higher role in skin texture. The butter or oil does help crisp the skin though. I cooked this bird yesterday at 300 lid temp for 2 hours. Pulled at 175, let it rest for 30 minutes. Also used my new Weber Poultry Roaster.
RoadsideChicken.jpg

Good looking bird Ben. I did a chicken cook on Sunday, but changed my game plan somewhat.
I got a late start, so getting the WSM ready seemed a hassle. I have a Traeger pellet grill, but have always felt the smoke flavor was too low in it. However, I experimented with a perforated foil pouch filled with apple chips on top of the fire pot. Chicken takes the smoke flavor more readily than many other meats.
I let it stay on low for an hour or so until 140* internal. Then cranked it up to 325* til the breaast got to 175* internal and pulled to rest.
The skin was brown and crispy...perfect. The meat was succulent and moist due to brining.
Next cook will be back to my old favorite WSM. Think I will approach it same way....start low to take on smoke, then ramp up heat to finish and crisp skin. With a Guru, this is fairly simple.

I also air dry in the fridge! You can do it in a couple of hours by drying with paper towels then putting birds on a cooling rack that rests in a cookie sheet pan for a couple hours in the fridge! Also when chicken is done on the smoker, disassemble your smoker putting a rack right over the charcoal ring and quick crisp the skin! Before you put the grate on the charcoal ring, stir or shake the ash off the charcoal. It will be hotter and cleaner that way! Don't burn it thou!
icon_smile.gif

Back