Bricks

James Lake

TVWBB Emerald Member
I would like to do a cook where I elevate one of my grates over the other. The question I have is can I use any type of brick or does it have to be like a fireplace brick?

Interesting question that I'll have to keep an eye on.
I have in the past heated everyday red buffalo bricks in the firebox of my offset to pre-warm the cambro, I've also used them to hold the UDS off the ground so as to not burn the grass. I've never had a problem with the bricks, yet. I'm not sure I would try it with the newer bricks with the holes in them. I would think at smoker temps you would be fine, and I would wrap them in foil.
On the other hand, empty soup cans should work also.

Last edited:
I would use some 4" or 6" bolts to make legs with. Will take up much less room on the bottom grate. But to answer your question. If over high heat I would use firebricks. Plus they are only 1.25" thick

Check out the grate mod page on the site. Lot of great examples

I use pavers whenever fire bricks are called for because that's what I have. They're thicker but they work fine. To elevate one grate over the other, I would use bolts as Jeff suggested.

Completely agree with the posts on using bolts. If I were to buy bricks I would buy fire bricks - thinner and... why not?

That said in the past I've used both regular bricks and granite driveway pavers - aka: belgian block.

Wrapped them in aluminum foil to be safe.

A side benefit of the granite pavers is they will hold heat for a very, very long time, and if you get the need you can heat them to a very high temp in the grill. wrap them in a towel and use them in a cooler to help hold the meat temp if necessary.

Apparently a brick can explode when heated to a high temp on a grill. That being said I have never seen or heard of this happening so it's up to you.

I use regular bricks wrapped in foil to raise my pizza stone off the food grill. I've seen empty 10 oz cans used as well.

I picked up 4 thin firebricks cost less than $7, 2 to raise the pizza stone, 2 to keep the charcoal where I want it
0720131522.jpg

0721131242.jpg

I've turned my 22 inch weber into a tandoor using bricks from a patio we tore out. I wouldn't cook on them because of possible lead content but it never occurred to me they could explode (yikes!). I've been trying to find fire brick at landscape and rock yards in our area without luck. Where are you guys finding them?

I've turned my 22 inch weber into a tandoor using bricks from a patio we tore out. I wouldn't cook on them because of possible lead content but it never occurred to me they could explode (yikes!). I've been trying to find fire brick at landscape and rock yards in our area without luck. Where are you guys finding them?

Masonry supply store will have them.

Bob is right, not saying they will explode but they can. They absorb moisture. During heating, the moisture can boil within the brick. If it can't escape it builds pressure and it could pop, fragment or just crack, no way to know but there is a danger. You are better off to invest in firebrick. They are an excellent asset in the cooking arsenal anyway.

I would say go with the safer alternative of spending the few dollars for fire bricks. Why take the risk.

Back