Breast of veal, how would you cook in the WSM?

I foiled them and it's amazing that they seem to have softened up quite a bit in a short time.

Now I'm pondering to take the wsm apart and toss the kettle grill over the coals to just add a touch to the outside.

Jim,

Used pretty much what you said, with 1 1/2 lemons squeezed by hand, and my wife added some lemon zest she took from the lemon skin. Possible a touch a sage, and 4 cloves of garlic, rock salt, and pepper on the meat first. Seems something else was added a touch of...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now I'm pondering to take the wsm apart and toss the kettle grill over the coals to just add a touch to the outside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can--but take them to tender or just shy first, then be brief on the grill.

Rest 7-8 min, tented.

Kevin,

I did just that but foiled and put them in the cooler with the butts. I was gonna keep them there for about 2 hours, is that a bad idea?

This is how I added a tad of crisp to them.

veal-crisp.jpg

This is what they looked like before I foiled them.

veal-done.jpg

I'll let you know how they are when I pull them out...
icon_smile.gif
(and yes, I'm always honest with myself, I'll let you know if they aren't good and/or what I might change
icon_wink.gif
). First time to cook this, have done lamb riblettes in the past, but a first for breast of veal. I guess veal is from Asia, the breast seems small...
icon_eek.gif
(but it's tender
icon_biggrin.gif
).

Wow, this turned out pretty good.

My son liked the breast of veal the best, and my daughter liked the pulled pork the best. It was a good meal. I would like to stuff the breast veal next time, either veggies or wild rice.

The flavor was just enough different with the veal, that it was a pleasant surprise. Everything was well received by the folks present.
icon_smile.gif
The breast of veal was so tender that it was almost falling off the bone, and it was fairly difficult to slice as it was so tender. I didn't expect it to be so tender. Cooked about 2 hours at 350, 30 additional minutes wrapped in foil, a light crisping over the coals, and foiled and in a cooler until served a couple hours later. Turned out xlnt!

This is what the breast of veal ended up looking like:
breast-veal.jpg

The pulled pork:

pulled-pork.jpg

And this is what dinner looked like:

sb-dinner.jpg

Everything looks fantastic Alan, great job.
icon_cool.gif
I always see the veal breast at Wally World, but never buy it because of how the calfs are treated in most cases. I haven't bought or ate veal in over 20 years because of this. I know not all are miss-treated but just can't bring myself to buying or eating it. I got soft in my oldish age.
icon_wink.gif
But none the less, the veal does look great.

Bryan,

It seems that veal is kinda sacrilege in the sense of how it is raised in some places. While I don't eat it often, I do eat it from time to time, but this could be the first time to 'que some. In fact I know it is, wanted to try something different.

It came out so tender, it was just falling off the bone. The pictures don't do it justice. It is pretty much gone, so I'm off to make myself some scrambled eggs with pulled pork.
icon_smile.gif

Alan, dinner and breakfast look great! I’m only 40 miles up the road and could be there in an hour if you’re going to be cooking breakfast lookin’ that good!

Very interesting. Couldn't see where the stuffing "went" though? There's a supplier around me somewhere in Bucks county I believe that rasies "free range veal". The animals are aloud out, but minimal exercise. The veal has a red tent because of this.

I might check that out to see if I can get a veal breast to try. Alan's looked/sounded really good.

Otherwise, I haven't had veal in years for the same reasons others mention up thread.

Chuck,

I don't cook breakfast too often actually, but when I do it's usually like this...
icon_biggrin.gif
My wife would never cook something like that for herself for breakfast, although she will do it for me sometimes...my sister used to live in San Ramon, off Alcosta but up closer to Bollinger when it wraps around. Unfortunately she moved so we can't use her house...*lol* Maybe we'll have to do a get together for bay area 'que aficionados one of these weekends.

And after this weekend, Lunardi's is back in my vocabulary. I like the meat counter there, as I do at Whole Foods. JohnE lives about a block from Lunardi's he mentioned, and there's a Whole Foods just across the street. I would say that gives Los Gatos an edge for 'que folks...not far from me, but to have 2 in our backyard, that's something.

Kevin,

Veal was good, a friend stopped by in the evening and we fixed him up a plate, he's headed to Sweeden today, so might be his last 'que for a couple weeks. He enjoyed the veal very much, and was also amazed at how tender it was.

My wife was curious about the pocket though, how do you cut it? Do you separate the meat on the upper section above the bones? That top layer of meat was almost falling off, we were speculating on how to cut a pocket in them. We were talking about a wild rice and veggie stuffing, and the mention of dried apricots made us also think that dried cranberries might work also. Wild rice with some sausage and some sparse dried fruit sounds pretty good with that...

Ray, (missed your post)

I'm not totally clear on how to cut the pocket either, maybe Kevin can explain that.

Thanks Alan - you didn't stuff yours then, now I get it, thanks. I was trying to tell from you pics what the stuffing looked like once the ribs were cut.

By the way - found this resource for those who are looking for "friendly veal" and other items.

Good reference by state under Find Local Grassfed Meat, Eggs & Dairy. I found a number of listings for veal in PA.

http://www.eatwild.com/

Alan,

A few years ago, they extended Bollinger up into the hills and started building new homes up there. That is where I live.

Let me get some more cooking experience under my belt so I don’t embarrass myself, and it would be fun to have a Bay-B-Q of the locals sometime.

I gave your breakfast picture some serious thought and, for lunch, decided to scramble up some eggs with some of my left over smoked Bratwurst, Weisswurst and Andouuille sausage from Saturdays cook. Delicious, but, sorry, no pictures.

Ray,

Thanks for posting that, I was feeling some virtual facial punishment as I had cooked some veal. The place I bought it from said it's all naturally raised. I do understand, and still not sure about how the veal is treated, I'm sure it varies. Fact is that the cows we eat are most likely not treated that well in MOST cases.
icon_wink.gif

I imagine if I asked about cooking whale meat, it wouldn't be too well received, though...*lol* I have eaten it before, when I lived in Japan, it actually tastes like red meat.

Chuck,

You can't go wrong with meat and eggs!

For me, there is little more hearty than steak (or other meat) and eggs.

I can eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

My wife boiled eggs this morning, but I looked at her and asked, "why, we have some meat?"

Something about deviled egg and meat, it's not like scrambled eggs and meat...*lol*

I know exactly where you are talking about up Bollinger where they have been building new homes, nice area. We were at a party last year up there, of some friends of my sister when she was there. She lived just a couple blocks from that intersection, down that little side street along side the liquor store and gas station are at, a block from Bollinger. Truth be it, my BIL used a gasser when they lived there, but the steaks weren't bad!
icon_wink.gif
Nothing wrong with a gasser, just that you can't do BBQ in one, it's a grill basically. I have always been partial to charcoal, even for grilling.

Back