Breaking in my new (to me) cast iron griddle

Already had the dinner planned and prepped before I went out to the antique store with the family when I got this amazing antique cast iron griddle, for 16 bucks!!!! I'm in love!!!!
View attachment 46219

It just fits in the kettle!
View attachment 46221

Tonight's dinner really felt like a classic summer cook, bbq shrimp and kielbasa, some dietz and watson deli franks, and oven potato wedges.
Here we are starting the sizzle. I put the slow n sear right through the middle of the kettle.
View attachment 46222

Shrimp and kielbasa almost done.
View attachment 46223

Getting the dogs "done"
View attachment 46224

Everything's off the kettle.
View attachment 46247

Close up on the bbq shrimp and kielbasa.View attachment 46236

Time to get the potatoes out of the oven.
View attachment 46238

And the simple plate.
View attachment 46242

It was a great simple Sunday dinner and I am excited to clean my new griddle and start to add my own seasoning to it, this guy is going to get a lot of use.
That looks awesome man. Any idea what the make on it is?

Great find, and that dinner looks delicious.
Ps~ in reference to the sad iron, I got my mother one as she is a quilter and has talked about them before. Again, 👍

Mark and Richard -

That makes a great deal of sense. I would add that it might possibly have come with the stove, as it would need to fit the diameter of the two holes exactly as well as their center-to-center spacing.
And if it came with the stove, that could explain why there is just a size number on it ( because they made different sizes of stoves) and no brand markings since it was not sold separately.

If you Google “antique wood stove griddle” you will see lots of these type of griddles. The fact that it is not flat on the bottom makes me even more convinced it was made to sit over the open flame in a stovetop.

Congratulations on the great find…whatever it is. I am sure that will see a ton of use by you and your family. Enjoy!

Back