Brats with wings

Dave Wr.

TVWBB Member
I'm planning on smoking wings and brats for some company this weekend and I had a couple of questions -
I was going to try the Buffalo wings-smoked recipe from the cooking section:
<LI> Can you smoke wings the day before and crisp up on the grill the next day
<LI> Are brats better cooked on the OTG or the smoker?
Thanks for any suggestions

I don't see why you couldn't crisp up the next day, but I would do it slow. Or they will be crispy, but cold in the middle.
Brats.... i would go with the OTG. They need direct heat.

I don't want to discourage you from trying a recipe or technique you see, but since you have a OTG, I would forgo the pre smoke and reheat and just cook them when needed on the OTG. Wings take smoke so easy and quick, you could cook and smoke indirect in 45 min. I would air dry them first so the skin crisp up, or use Alton Brown's method of steaming the fat out first.

Thanks for the replies / I'm planning on cooking about 5 lbs of wings so maybe I'll set up a double tier rack on the OTG? The only thing is the recipe calls for a 2 hour smoke - do you think I'll get the same results from a 45 minute smoke?
Thanks again

Yes, I think you can get all the smoke you want or need on the kettle. Wings don't need low and slow.

I have done wings on both my WSM and OTS. Both ways come out really good. OTS is faster... Only about an hour and you have smoked wings. On the WSM I go for two hours and then drop them down on the coals to crisp them up. Its all in what you are feeling and time constraints.

Thanks again for the replies! Do I go with a full chimney or 1/2 chimney - I'm assuming an indirect for the cook on the OTG?

Normally I would say 1/2 would give you the needed heat, but if you are doing multiple batches (5 pounds) I may be inclined to do 1/2 lit over 1/2 unlit.

I really struggled over this one- I'm hosting a church fellowship tomorrow and I wanted to try the recipe "buffalo wings smoked"I saw in the cooking forum - I just won't have the time. I ended up smoking them today - This smoker is amazing - no water in the pan and I'm holding 240 for the last 1 1/2 hr. I'm going to crisp them up tomorrow while I'm grilling the brats. The weather is supposed to be outstanding! I'll also be lighting a fire in the pit for the kids to cook some smores (grown ups too
icon_smile.gif
)...

Back