Bracket for ET 7 Remote

Bruce McLeod

TVWBB Member
I became inspired by the creative brackets other WSM owners have made to attach their remotes to the WSM.
Steven's approach was to use the existing bolts to attach a bracket, while Scott and others use a modified Weber tool-holder.

The way the Weber tool holder clips over the top lip of the mid-section of the WSM appealed to me.

My iteration uses bits and pieces that (I've been assuring my wife) have been collected over time - just for this purpose.
It rains here sometimes but that doesn't stop me from using the WSM.

I needed to design a holder/clip that would allow the ET 7 remote to be kept dry during these events and also insulate it from the hot body of the WSM.
ET7onWSMWeb.jpg

At the same time, the clip itself had to be thin - allowing the WSM lid to be removed and replaced without disturbing the remote holder/clip - similar in function to the Weber tool holder.

A 1½" cut-off piece of brass sink drain was perfect for the WSM clip itself. After cutting the flange off, hammering it flat, then bending the top over to form the "clip", it was ready to go.
ET7HolderBacksideWeb.jpg

I attached the ET 7 belt clip to a scrap piece of teak - love the smell of teak when it's being worked. The brass clip, that hangs on the WSM, is screwed to the other side.
ET7BeltClipWeb.jpg

The teak block acts as both a heat shield and stand-off.
If it rains, it's easy to slip a baggie over the ET 7 remote (as a rain-hat), while the teak block insulates the remote and its "baggie rainhat" from the WSM.
ET7SensorAttachedWeb.jpg

The brass and teak will easily handle the wet weather and heat from the WSM.

For me, just having the remote secure and accessible makes using the WSM that much more enjoyable.

Thanks to others for all your great "mod" ideas!

Really cool design there my friend. Thanks for this!

I just rec'd the ET-73 (RediCheck)and they now include a wire bracket which can hang the transmitter on a lip like the one you designed yet holds it away from the cooker an inch or two so it is not impacted by the heat of the barrel in the WSM.

Back