Bought 'Em, Now How Do I Grill 'Em?

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
Howdy All:

Picked up a package of sliced beef shanks (bone-in) the other day at BJ's; never tried these things before, so I'm unsure as to how I should approach the cook - quickly over direct heat, low indirectly, sauced, unsauced, rubbed, whatever...

Can any beef shank aficianados out there give me some pointers so I don't turn them into shoe leather?

Regards,

Rooster

Shank is usually ground up for burgers. Most people cut them in to 3/4 think pucks. If you have a full shank with bone you definitely want to do low and slow and foil around 170.

Personally, I would do them the same as osso bucco (veal shanks) ie braised which means not on the smoker. IMO.

I've use boneless beef shank for stews. It's excellent braised that way. If smoking I would get some spice and smoke on them and braise or foil wrap with liquid to finish (tender).

Thanks for the replies folks, an Len, I may try a variation on that link you sent - it looked mighty tasty!

Regards,

Rooster

I do osso bucco on a regular basis with a creamy vegetable risotto side. It's to die for.

Don't rush the cook time. Nice and slow is the key.

OK, so to begin with, I have NO pix to back me up, but here's what I did - got out my Tramontina 7-quart porcelain enamel Dutch oven (highly recommended by Cook's Illustrated, & I agree - what a bargain @ 80 bux, compared to the Le Creuset version @ 300+!); browned in OO and then removed my four beef shanks; diced up some carrots, onions, and added a tablespoon of BOTTLED chopped garlic (yeah, I use it a lot - but not always...) to the font and cooked and stirred for five minutes; salt & peppered the meat, and added it along with red wine and beef broth, and a can of Italian-style diced tomatoes; placed in a 325º oven for 2.5 hours, and added a boatload of sliced cremini mushrooms about 30 minutes prior to taking the Dutch oven out.

First time I've braised meat in a Dutch oven, and I have to say it was absolutely the most flavorful and tender beef I've ever had...

Regards,

Rooster

Last edited:

Back