Bought An EX4 - Finally

Chris R.

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

Weber fan here though infrequent poster. So I ordered an EX4 (Gen 2) today, with the Front shelf, Side shelf and Cutting board. Smokefire Delivery is supposed to be this coming Saturday between 6-9am. The accessory items all arrive earlier in the week. I already have 4 bags of Weber Pellets I bought a month ago at a local appliance store that was selling them for $20 BOGO. That was when I committed to go the Smokefire and I have been trying to get a deal ever since. No Dice. I called 10 different stores and No-One in My area stocks it so screw it. Amazon Wins again.

I am Excited to receive and assemble. Does anyone have any tips / tricks that I should be aware of during the assembly process?

I am quite excited to tackle it that day and fire it off for the first time. I have family coming over the next day so the true First cook will Be Saturday night into Sunday.

Looking forward to conversing with you all as I get accustomed to the nuances of the pellet and Smokefire.

Chris

JimK is right. The BILT app will save you a lot of heartache. Pay close attention to assembling the pellet chute and firepot. When you get it remove the finger guard from the pellet hopper chute. 3 screws. Polish the long floor of the pellet hopper with 0000 steel wool, spray it with food safe silicone spray, or cover it with UHMW tape. Do either of those and you shouldn't have pellet feed problems. I needed a helper to get it upright once I had the legs and casters on. If you aren't adverse to using Facebook I recommend that you join "Weber SmokeFire WoodFired Pellet Grill: Owners Group". Their FAQ was put together by members and has a ton of useful info. If you do nothing but read the FAQ it will be worth your time. https://www.facebook.com/notes/webe...-group/smokefire-faqhelptips/575185199841010/ ----------- Enjoy.

Thanks Everyone, I will Watch the Video and also good to know about the finger guard mod, Polishing (or UHMW tape) &/or silicone spray Application. I knew I'd have some homework to do this week.

Is the current iteration of the app working well or still limiting certain functions?

Chris

Love this thing already. Assembly was Easy. Quality is evident. Setup and Light off was easy. Reached 450 quickly. Shuttin it down in a few to go to the store and get some Ribs... :) Thanks for the Welcome everyone

Attachments

• SFBox.jpg
    SFBox.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 16
  • SFaccessories.jpg
    SFaccessories.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 18
  • SFDone.jpg
    SFDone.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 16
  • SF450 .jpg
    SF450 .jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 16
Is the current iteration of the app working well or still limiting certain functions?

Chris
They just released an update for the IOS and Android apps today. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Let us know how the rib cook goes and how the app worked for you.

I Was hungry so threw Burgers on and Now a rack of ribs are on, rubbed with Harry Soo All Purpose Rub. Nice Machine. The burgers were great. The ribs are on Smoke boost now and I'll crank em up to 240 ish after about 1.5 hours of Smoke Boost.

Attachments

• SF.Burgers.1stCook.jpg
    SF.Burgers.1stCook.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 7
  • SF.Ribs.2ndCook.jpg
    SF.Ribs.2ndCook.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The Ribs Turned out Great although I could have left them on a little longer. I was Hungry and it was getting late. First time ever using pink butcher paper which I found worked better than the typical foil wrap and was easier on the bark. Nice Smoke Flavor, Nice Smoke Ring, Good Texture and Great Mahogany color. The Rub stood out much more than on WSM. Sauced em with a 50/50 of Famous Dave's Rich n Zesty / Sweet Baby Rays Chipotle. It's a great combo. I'm very happy with the purchase and only regret not getting it sooner.

I haven't had any issues with the app at all and am able to change pit temp and turn on smokeboost with it. It's a neat coincidence that the newest version came out today.

Attachments

• SF.Ribs.Finished.2ndCook.jpg
    SF.Ribs.Finished.2ndCook.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 9
  • SF.Ribs.Cut.2ndCook.jpg
    SF.Ribs.Cut.2ndCook.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Back