Bought a 23 lb chuk roll

Craig Castille

TVWBB Wizard
I bought a 23 lb chuck roll yesterday.

It was only a couple of days old from the pack date, so I'm gonna let it wet age a few weeks.

When the time comes to cook it, I'll have to cut it into a couple of pieces as it won't fit on the wsm grate whole.

It takes up most of the bottom shelf of the full size beer refrigerator.

I really like cooking them big 'ol chuck rolls. I just cooked a 24 lb.'er whole on my BDS about a month ago. Oh man, what a glorious hunk-o-meat it was.

Good luck with yours!

You must have bought one of them long suckers. I try and pick them out by size instead of weight, and usually take a tape measure with me to BJ's when i go to pick one out, it's like going to pick out a pumpkin, it's a quest.
icon_biggrin.gif
I try and pick one in the 15-18lb range, they seem to fit the best, but some of them can be too long also.
icon_eek.gif
But look at it this way, if you have to cut it in half, you'll be getting twice the bark for your buck.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry Pollard:
what the ... is a "chuk roll"??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Link for you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisM:
never cooked one </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have done many over the years, and why I have Chuckie as my avatar. It's the same cut as a Butt only Beef.
icon_biggrin.gif
They are a bit more work when pulling them. Theres alot of veins, sinue and crap in them. I'm anal about getting it all out of the meat. But it's well worth the effort. I've only seen them at BJ's warehouse club, never seen them in a regular grocery store. I'm sure Sam's and Costco has them also. Try one, it's a nice change from pulled pork.
icon_smile.gif

I've not seen chuck roll at Costco, but lately mine has been carrying shoulder clod, which is another popular, inexpensive shoulder cut for barbecuing.

Dennis, if you live near a Cash & Carry in WA, you may find chuck roll there. That's where I got mine.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris...I work in Everett...and never even knew of this place. I am taking vacation next week, and this place will be a "for sure" stop.

Costco does carry chuck roll they just don't put it out. The cut slices across the grain and sell it as chuck roast. They also grind it into hamburger. Ask ahead or catch them early and they will sell it to you whole, you just have to ask. I've cooked a lot of chuck and clod and I think chuck has a small edge with more marbling.

In my experience you get a better result cutting it into pork butt size roasts rather than trying to cook the monster chunk.

Konrad,

Now that I'm thinking about it, the 23 lb'er would be a lot easier to manage in 3-4 pieces.

I was going to cut it half, but hell, why not simplify the thing and cut it up a bit more.

Thanks.

It works just fine. When I'm on the road I often buy the chuck roast for teaching classes. For the restaurant I cut four or five (big rolls) roasts cutting across the grain. More surface area for crust. The crust on the whole monsters can just plain get over cooked when the center of a 25# hunk gets to final temp.

Back