Bought 2nd 14" WSM!! Sold my 22.5 to fund it.

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I hadn't used my 22.5 in several years, about 5, finally got up enough courage to sell it. I then used the proceeds to buy a second 14!
I love my 14, even with my infirmaties I can easily use it and since there are just 3 of us it cooks enough for us. I can do 4 racks of pork ribs (cut in half), in a normal meal 1 and sometimes 1 1/2 racks are enough for the 3 of us. I always wanted another. To me it is the perfect size and now I have double that for a party.

I set it up today while I was doing a pork shoulder on the original one, a 9 pound shoulder and even though we had a huge thunderstorm with over 1/2 " of rain and it kill the temp way down, I got it done in 11 hours.

IMG_20220717_190021012.jpg

IMG_20220717_102524771.jpg

IMG_20220717_113025311.jpg

I'm just going to talk out loud here, but wouldn't it have been better with your first scenario? The 22.5 for large groups or parties, and the 14 for "just" the family vs having to fire up 2 small smokers?

I hadn't used my 22.5 in several years, about 5, finally got up enough courage to sell it. I then used the proceeds to buy a second 14!
I love my 14, even with my infirmaties I can easily use it and since there are just 3 of us it cooks enough for us. I can do 4 racks of pork ribs (cut in half), in a normal meal 1 and sometimes 1 1/2 racks are enough for the 3 of us. I always wanted another. To me it is the perfect size and now I have double that for a party.

I set it up today while I was doing a pork shoulder on the original one, a 9 pound shoulder and even though we had a huge thunderstorm with over 1/2 " of rain and it kill the temp way down, I got it done in 11 hours.

View attachment 55513

View attachment 55514

View attachment 55515
That Genesis works great for holding stuff for your WSM's doesn't it? That's how I like to use mine! ;)

right now the Genesis has the cover to one smoker and some thermometer wires LOL Doing steak on the Genesis Gold tonight

I had all 3 sizes at one time. I also sold the 22 as it wasn't getting any use. Between the 14 and the 18 I can easily accommodate any gatherings we have. The 22 is definitely impressive in size and great if you are cooking for large groups.

Haven't done a cook on the new one yet, and certainly not both at once, just seasoned it. I really have never needed more than the one 14" another reason for the second is my two sons want to borrow it all the time
Yeah, and one day it won't come back. 😆

Hmmm I can easily fill a 22 if I do anything more than just protein even for a small gathering. When I smoke beans, and Mac n cheese a 22 isn't even big enough add ABT or any other appetizers, and you can forget about it being to big let alone enough on its own. Also when I smoke pp I load it up as much as possible, and freeze for the winter months when I'm craving something smoked. 70 to 80 lbs starting weight 6 to 8 butts. If I'm putting that much time into something I'll make it worth it.

Last edited:
We are probably unusual, when we make a rack of ribs, it is just that A rack of ribs - 1- and sometimes there is some left over. When we do chicken drumsticks 6 is usually it but sometimes the wife only has 1 and we have 1 left over.
I did a 9 pound shoulder, bone in, and we ate 3 dinners and 4 lunches from that and gave some to my other son.

Freezer is filled with food so no room to store extra. The 14 inch is perfect for a family of 2 or 3 since I can do 4 racks of ribs (halves) on it, can do more but the outer ones can get overdone from heat coming up the sides. Can do two whole chickens or 2 9 pound pork shoulders...

I really don't need the other 14 but I wanted it! and I don't mind if one my two boys wants to borrow one.

Back