Bottom Vent Rust

Mark Dawson

TVWBB Member
My bottom vents have become nearly impossible to move due to the rivets rusting. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix for it. I've tried a little penetrating oil but it hasn't helped. My cooker is relatively young (5 years) compared to some others. I'm sure the rust is a result of the bottom bowl filling up with rain water a few times.

Mark

I'd probably just drill out the old rivet and pop in a stainless steel screw and a couple of stainless steel nuts (to lock them tightly together without tightening down the vent too much). I guess you could also pop a new rivet in but I would be concerned with the vent becoming too tight that way.

Edit: A call to Weber might be useful as well; 5 years isn't a very long time in WSM terms!

Hey Mark, my WSM is ten years old and I've got one vent that has started to become tough to turn also. A little WD40 seems to have solved my problem. Sounds like a call to Weber might be a good idea. They have always been very helpful to me in the past.

the vents build up yuck underneath and jam. banging a bit on the rivetscan also loosen them up. i'm using ss bolts on my kettles but my wsm loosened up enough that i don;t have to do anything.

Back