Bottom Round...What to do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffr Hode

TVWBB Fan
Hi everyone,

I was at the store and for whatever reason came home with a 4lb bottom round and am now at a loss for ways to cook it.

I have read it is a leaner cut that will dry and toughen if cooked too long. So if I marinate and cooke until 155* or so will it slice and be tender ? How thick or thin should this cut be sliced ?

Thanks for suggestions.

Jeff

Not enough fat marbling to make it a good low & slow candidate. One way might be to cook at a higher temp and only take it to medium-rare. Another would be treat it like brisket, but foil it, adding juice or broth, after about 4 hours.

I've done a number of sirloin tip roasts with an empty pan, 300-325 and removed at 145. They were great. I would cook the bottom round the same but it may not be quite as tender; thus, slice thin.

I must confess I've probably used the crockpot on ocassion for this cut. A brisket type cook, with some liquid, might be interesting, also. It's sort of CP outside, but hopefully with a little smoke flavor infused.

Paul

Thanks for the ideas. I have used a crockpot for this cut in the past too, but it turns into a pot roast. I may try the brisket type cook with the foil. It won't be until next weekend anyway, but I want to have my plan set for the cook.

regards.

jeff

Jeff,
I do alot of bottom round roasts and do them like Doug has mentioned. I cook it at 300-350, no water pan until it is rare to medium rare. The reason for no water pan is you want to try to sear the outside as best you can to hold the juices in, otherwise it will be dry. Slice it fairly thin across the grain for sandwiches or as is. A little horseradish or bbq sauce or both make it very tasty. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back