Bottom round roast ???

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
After searching this forum for bottom round roast, it seams to me the only way to make it, is to cook to medium and slice thin for sammy's ?

Can you cook it and then pull it, like butts ?

Can you cook it until tender ?

My family not me, donesn't like any signs of blood or red meat.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

John,
I am a newbie on this board but I do know meat ( my career for over 20 years and counting!). As you stated a bottom round is best cooked and sliced thin (roast beef). It is a muscle and does not have fat or marbling throught to enable you to use it as a pulled beef. The longer you cook it the tighter and tougher the roast will become. A bottom round is best cooked medium rare to medium, the more well it is cooked, the tougher it will be, unless you slice very thin. A bnls chuck roast would be a better choice for pulled beef. Anything from the front quarter will benefit from a braise or slow cook. Fore quarter meat is a bit tougher but very flavorful and it breaks down much better than anything from the hind quarter. The Boston Butt (Pork Shoulder) is the Beef Chuck counterpart. Pork Picnic is located below the pork butt. Ham is from the rear end of the pig.
Bnls chuck roast, possibly bnls shoulder roast, top blade roast, mock tender roast might do well for pulled beef. Just MHO. I am sure everyone has different tastes and cooking secrets too!

Hope this helps!

Gary

Thanks for the informative reply. You certainly know your meats.

I was asking about the Bottom round roast becauce local grocery store chain (Weis mrkts.), has them on sale for $1.49 per lb starting tomorrow. Thought I'd like to give it a try because it's a good deal and I never cooked one .

When cooking something for the first time i kinda like to get something on sale just in case it doesn't come out too good. Although so far everything I've made has been eatable.

Happy smoking!!!!

John,
$1.49lb is a great price. We usually run them at $1.79-1.99lb on sale. Bottoms do make some nice roast beef sammies!

Good luck and Enjoy!

John, I would suggest making Pit Beef out of the bottom round (top round works as well.

Gary's post is right on on cooking methods etc.

Since your family does not like any sign of blood or red, cook as stated by Gary on in my post. Then slice paper then and lightly warm in beef stock. This will keep the texture and tenderness of the meat, but it will get rid of the 'red' your family wants to avoid.

Good luck!!

Larry

That's a good "Trick" if you will. In other words cook to medium rare to medium, when the meat will still be tender, hen slice thin and put in the beef stock to lets say "Change" it's appearance, the Family will never know !!!!

Unless they sneak on this weber forum ?

Chris you recipe look interesting to me as well.

Thanks Guys

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Larry

That's a good "Trick" if you will. In other words cook to medium rare to medium, when the meat will still be tender, hen slice thin and put in the beef stock to lets say "Change" it's appearance, the Family will never know !!!!

Unless they sneak on this weber forum ?

Chris you recipe look interesting to me as well.

Thanks Guys </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes John, but remember, the meat is DONE at rare/med-rare. So you only want the stock to be warm, not boiling hot. You do not want to continue the cooking whatsoever, only warm the thin slices to get rid of the rareness. Should take less than 30 seconds.

Back