Boston Butt vs. Picnics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ir

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone - Got a question. Picnics are on sale here for this weekend. I have done tons of
Boston Butts, and have that down to a science. I have never attempted the picnic shoulder, I am curious do they cook as long as butts, do they pull as well, are they more fatty, what differs in prepping them, do they taste similar??? Just wondering if anyone out there has cooked both and how they compare or what differences I need to know about. Thanks BigIr

I have cooked a butt and picnic at the same time with the same rub and found some of the picnic meat to have a hammy taste. I only cook Butts now, unless I want ham, then I smoke a ham.

I've done a few picnics (sometimes it's all I can get around here) and none of them ever tasted hammy.

But yes, do strip the skin off. There's a thick fat layer underneath it, and the combination of skin and fat is a lot for your smoke to get through!

Did my first smoke session sith my new WSM last week, bought it solely for Carolina-style pulled-pork...I did one each, butt and picnic, and combined them when I pulled, and my friends (who have had my pulled pork smoked on a kettle grill many times)have gotten my head so big with compliments it's unbelievable!!This smoker ROCKS!!

Big Ir,
I did 6 Picnics over the holiday weekend, two cooks in all. I did 4 one cook 2 the other. It took 19 hours for the 4 picnics totalling 32lbs. I wrapped them and put them in a cooler for about 3 hours and pulled them out and they were still too hot to pull. But they pulled very easy. I would definitely do picnics again and they tasted no different than butts. I did remove the skin, because the rub will not penetrate it. No big deal removing the skin. I bought them for the same reason, beacause they were on sale for a very cheap price. Good luck, let us know how they turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back