Boston Butt smoking time

Dante

TVWBB Member
Once and for all is there a general cooking time per lb. Like smoking a butt at 225 at 1 1/2 hours per pound? Does that sound like a good place to start. Thanks so much trying to time a butt and ribs for this weekend.

That's a pretty solid place to start . . . although I'd crank it to 250. Can't see a reason to try and maintain such a low temp.

that's a good place to start as stated above, but butts are done when they are done. I have had 8 lb. butts done in 8 hrs. and some have taken as long as 18 hrs., as environmental factors and cooker temps can vary quite a bit, causing the cooking to time method to not always be accurate. I do not temp butts anymore because the probe test works better. Use a skewer (bamboo or metal), a toothpick or anything you can insert into the meat you are cooking. You are looking for a feeling like you are probing warm, softened butter. The probe should go in with little to no resistance. Once you develop a feel for this, you will not have to cook by time and cooker temps will not be as big a factor in your cooks.

Good luck on your cook!

I like the wiggle method. When you can wiggle the bone in the butt it's done. If you have a deboned butt then you are better off with the probe method, as I learned the hard way. Still, if it won't pull you can cube it and it tastes just as good.

Yes JimH this is a deboned butt, also using minion method with a Bbq guru ATC. I am in Pa. and I am going to start it tonight,its humid out today so I will imagine it would be less humid tonight,not much but alittle bit. Thanks all of you for the help have a great holiday, will update the outcome Monday!!

Humid???? Try Florida!!! Just set it up ad let it ride!! Minion Method is excellent, just watch your water level and still check it 5-6 hours into the cook!

With an ATC, you can keep easily keep a 225-300 temperature. If you are starting in the morning you can go to a higher temp so it will be ready for dinner. If you are doing an overnighter, keeping it low and slow means it won't be ready before you want to wake up.

Hey guys again thanks for the comments , so it is 1am here I am doing an overnight cook to be done at 10am. Smoker running hot at 260. I have my ATC set for 230, i literally now have every vent closed now and it still has only dropped 3 degrees in half hour.. Water pan full. Minion method with 20 lit coals on top. It's about 75 outside and humid *** is going on .. Any suggestions?

Hi,
It is recommended that you do not use water in the water pan when using a BBQ Guru. Several sheets of crumpled up foil in the pan with another layer or two to cover the pan and catch the drippings.
Top vent always fully opened and the bottom vents all closed.

Al

Hey Al thanks for the response, I did everything you said minus the empty water pan , I know you don't have to use water in the Pan when using the guru , because the water usually helps control the heat , but it should not run hotter if there is water in there it should actually run cooler. I had all bottom vents closed and finally fully closed the top to lower the temp basically choking the fire, when it got to 220 I reopened the top vent half way and it rose to 230 and stayed there the rest of the night, but now at 10am pork sitting at 183 and for some reason the smoker rose again to 250,just don't understand it sometimes.

I plan 2 hours per lb at 225*. I used to use 1.5 hrs per lb and it was ever done when I thought it would be. 2 hrs per lb seems to work for me. Ultimately, I go by internal temp of 198* for pulled pork.

as said its done when its done
icon_wink.gif
I plan on 2 hours a pound and average 225. I cook to 195.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dante:
Hey Al thanks for the response, I did everything you said minus the empty water pan , I know you don't have to use water in the Pan when using the guru , because the water usually helps control the heat , but it should not run hotter if there is water in there it should actually run cooler. I had all bottom vents closed and finally fully closed the top to lower the temp basically choking the fire, when it got to 220 I reopened the top vent half way and it rose to 230 and stayed there the rest of the night, but now at 10am pork sitting at 183 and for some reason the smoker rose again to 250,just don't understand it sometimes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These words are from Shotgun Fred, the invernter of the BBQ Guru. (Recently departed)

Just One Final Question: Can I use the Guru and a water pan?

Answer: It is not a good idea. The water pan will fool the Guru. The cooler water vapor in the cooking chamber or dome makes the controller call for more heat. The actual fire then becomes too hot, and the temperature of your pit will bounce up and down.The water pan will actually buck the controller. You simply don’t need a primitive control when you have a real modern day electronic control on the job.You can load all the charcoal fuel you want at the start of the cook and not worry about it getting out of control if you want to go about your life; sleep, party, play golf, mow the grass, or go fishing.

Now you’re in control!

Back